Author Topic: The building process  (Read 7367 times)

Offline Timo

The building process
« on: March 05, 2011, 12:14:31 am »
 Got to thinking the other day about what part of the process I like the best.....Of course most bowyers would  probly say the end...  :P well I thought a good bit, trying to recollect at what point I get  that "giddy feeling".

Opening up a log and watching a good clean stave pop out and and say "hey"?

The whistle of a sharp scraper, and the fine curls tumbling to the shop floor like down feathers?

That first bracing when the limbs arc into a perfect marriage?

So many things to choose from. Still can't decide.

What say ye?

Offline Bevan R.

Re: The building process
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 12:19:06 am »
For me it's the first shot. I like the other, but I still get shivers and am amazed that I just built something that shoots an arrow and could be used for making meat or protection. I even have special arrows that I use for 'first shots'. some handplained western ceder 'logs' that I selfnocked and all. Kind of make it a ritual.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 12:29:00 am »
"That first bracing when the limbs arc into a perfect marriage?'

It's like the second your child is born, after unimaginable stress and worry, that second you just know everything is alright and you can relax for the rest of your life. And doesn't look anything like you imagined, but so much more beautiful than you would of ever dreamed.

No, but probably when it's done and I can say "God, thank god that craps over with, uhg!" 
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:30:50 am »
I agree with Bevan. For me the first shot is the best and really tells me how well I've done with the bow.

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 12:35:01 am »

toomanyknots said

No, but probably when it's done and I can say "God, thank god that craps over with, uhg!"

made me spit my drink on the keyboard! ;D ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 01:06:28 am »
  Not sure about the favorite part but their is a period right when I start floor tillering that is very refreshing. I like the feel of a floor tillered bow that I can flip over and do the other side and they feel the same. This is right before the final tiller which can get pretty intense, kind of like driving a race car but not fearing for your life. Steve

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 01:07:07 am »
for me its that first pull to full draw and it doesnt blow  ;D
then i know i have made a bow  :)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 01:14:51 am »
I enjoy the earlier part of the process before I ever string the thing, you know, when you whittled that stave or board down to a 'bow shape'. You bring it in from the workshop, hold it up to the light, and see a personality forming as it whispers to you what kind of bow it might make some day when it grows up.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 02:06:05 am »
The whistle of a sharp scraper, and the fine curls tumbling to the shop floor like down feathers?

Nate Danforth

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 02:32:09 am »
I really enjoy splitting a log into staves, especially osage.  Looking at each one and trying to imagine what kind of bow is hiding inside. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 03:01:14 am »
for me Tim, it's the chasing of the ring. The while time I'm chasing my head is running at a millions miles a hour with possibiloties. After that all tjose possibilities get decided by the stave, but I like the imagination part.
dave
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 05:03:13 am »
Nice question, I guess it's 'all of the above' for me.
Walking in the woods looking out for potential staves right through to that final wipe with beeswax polish.
Even the bits I moan on about not liking, the horn nocks, making strings, they all have their charm and quiet zen like qualities.
But yeah that first shot is great.
The feel of tools on wood gives that feeling of connection to the material, I just love it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Lombard

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 10:53:38 am »
Nice question, I guess it's 'all of the above' for me.
Walking in the woods looking out for potential staves right through to that final wipe with beeswax polish.
Even the bits I moan on about not liking, the horn nocks, making strings, they all have their charm and quiet zen like qualities.
But yeah that first shot is great.
The feel of tools on wood gives that feeling of connection to the material, I just love it.
Del

Yep.

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 12:21:52 pm »
I'm not very good at adding all the little details yet, but I love the wood itself. When I have settled on the tiller and I'm satisfied with the way it looks then I put all the hand tools away and go to sandin. Startin with a heavy grit and workin up to the polish. I just love the way the wood starts to speak to me. Sometimes it's in the knots, or the way the grain swirls. Sometimes the patterns within the growth ring are incredible! I'm an osage man so I know the wood has huge potential for strength and endurance, but when I first polish a newly made bow up that wood is gorgeous! Soon enough it will start to take on a completely different color, maturing the piece of wood into the weapon it was fashioned to be, but those first few moments when I can run my hands down her smooth, rich profile are heaven to me. Taking a piece of rough split firewood and turning into something so elegant... well, that's what makes me giddy!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 01:40:50 pm »
For me it's when I reach full draw on the tree for the first time and am able to exercise the limb and take my first shot.. Cause I know I have made a powerful weapon with m own hands.