Author Topic: Help with BBI dimensions  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Scott E

Help with BBI dimensions
« on: March 09, 2011, 05:06:50 pm »
Hi guys, I'm getting back into the saddle after a two year break, and its good to be back.  Just finished the BBH is started for my brother two years ago. Now I'm going to build a bamboo backed ipe flat bow, 62"-64" ntn, 50# @ 27", I usually make a stiff handle area. I never used ipe, so I am uncertain of the required dimensions and characteristics of the wood. I have TB3, Smooth On and Urac 185, would any of these work?  Any information would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks, Scott

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Help with BBI dimensions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 05:16:47 pm »
John Strunk just helped me glue up a BBI and its 66 ttt used Urac 185, stiff handle 1 1/8 at the fades tapering to 3/8 at the tips. Thickness of the ipe after rought out with the bandsaw is 1/2" at the fade to around 3/8 at the tips. This thing is still very stiff (not floor tillered) and could easily make a heavy bow from it but I will be shooting for 60#.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:20:07 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:01:04 pm »
Ipe needs to be narrow and boo can also. I'd go between 1" to 1 1/4" at the fades to 3/8" or less at the tips. You should have no problems getting a 50#@27" bow with this combo. If you decide to go on the wider side and you find the belly getting thin start remove wood from the sides instead of the belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:13:05 pm »
If you intend to use a power lamination between the boo and ipe you can go 3/8" thick through the middle and taper to 1/4" to the tips. 
Nate Danforth

Offline Scott E

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 06:35:23 pm »
Thanks Elktracker and Pat B, those dimensions sound like a plan, I will keep the width around 1"-1 1/8" . Thanks NTD, I am not planning on using a power lamination on this bow, but maybe on the next. 
I just received my ipe board, it is quarter sawn, fairly straight grained with a few small swirls (knots?) that go from front to back. Would these be a problem even with a bamboo backing? I had to order it from a company that sells it for decking, so I could not hand pick the board.

Offline Scott E

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 11:49:45 pm »
Oh boy, I glued up the bow today with Urac 185. The glue is three years old, and just I found out it has a shelf life.

Offline Scott E

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 11:58:42 pm »
It wasnt in the fridge, it was in a cool basement.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 05:00:01 am »
Let us know how it works out, I will cross my fingers for you ;) I would think you would know if it was going to fail for the most part by the time its shot in ???
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Scott E

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 11:57:14 pm »
Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is the Urac 185 worked fine. The bad news is I missed my target weight by way too much. I messed up and had to remove too much belly wood to catch up to my mistake. Its a bummer, it was my first R/D bow, it looks nice so I will finish it and hang it on the wall. Oh well, live and learn. Back to the drawing board.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 02:12:01 am »
Don't hang it, give it to someone who will shoot it. Kids and some women love those light weight bow. I am glad to har that your urac worked cuz I've got some here that is a bit on the old side of life. Nothin like three years, mine is just a yeasr tops.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 03:33:49 am »
Got any pics ;D

Offline Scott E

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 01:54:14 am »
Elktracker, I finally put a finish on the bow. The tiller is not great. When cutting the belly taper I went too deep at the fades and wasted too much wood catching up to my mistake. I got to 30# and said good enough, any more tillering and there won't be any belly wood left. I got another bow glued up today with a hickory backing and not 3 year old Urac  ;D

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 01:42:48 pm »
Thats looks good ;)

Josh

Offline Scott E

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 08:01:14 pm »
Thanks