Author Topic: Strangest bow backings.  (Read 19699 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Strangest bow backings.
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 09:50:13 pm »
Del, netiher sound very reliable to me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 10:39:36 pm »
To quote ELD's tag....Come on 1/20/2013!!!!! >:(!!!!

Ron

Damn Ron...I didn't know anyone else even figured that one out.... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 11:06:53 pm »
Strangest, maybe not, but best backed bow I ever saw was made by the bowyer that taught me, Barry Meyer.  He sinew backed an osage bow (oh, how daring), but then backed the bow with a single skin from a gaboon viper.  'Boons are one of the top 5 deadliest snakes in the world and not easy to come by.  He happened to have a contact at Reptile Gardens that saved the nasty critter for him.  

Their latin name kinda fits....Bitis gabonica.  
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NTD

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 11:36:30 pm »
JW, You really seem to have a thing for tha Gaboon Viper. They really aren't that hard to come by.  In the legal states you can pick up a baby for $75-125.  Spend a year feeding it up and there ya go ;)  Now the Rhino Viper....A lot like the gabby but way nicer looking! ;D

The coolest skin I have ever had I traded to James Parker and I haven't seen it yet, and I've asked him multiple times about it and never a reply ::)  I should have kept it...
Nate Danforth

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 11:47:19 pm »
What's it gonna cost me for the vials of anti-venom?  That's IF there is any commercially available.  Oh, and what does it cost to get Life-Flighted out of Rapid City to Denver these days?  Yeah, sure, send me two of them nasties!!! 

I been looking at my 4 1/2 ft bullsnake lately....but she's done hundreds of classroom presentations and I ain't sure I'd survive the munchkin attack if they found out I did June-bug that way. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Online Badger

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 11:56:50 pm »
Years ago I took some shark catilage and built a steel press to compress it as it dried. Every few days I would tighten the bolts compresssing it more and more. Somewhere in ther middle of the project I gave up smoking pot and never finished it so can't say how it would have worked. Steve

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 11:59:56 pm »
I used the leg of my wifes jeans last week  ;D  I hope she dont look for that pair.. ::)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline NTD

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 12:08:43 am »
What's it gonna cost me for the vials of anti-venom?  That's IF there is any commercially available.  Oh, and what does it cost to get Life-Flighted out of Rapid City to Denver these days?  Yeah, sure, send me two of them nasties!!! 

I been looking at my 4 1/2 ft bullsnake lately....but she's done hundreds of classroom presentations and I ain't sure I'd survive the munchkin attack if they found out I did June-bug that way. 

Easy answer, don't get bit >:D  Or, as long as you don't tell the state of AZ you buy it and I'll raise it for you ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 12:09:32 am »
Years ago I took some shark catilage and built a steel press to compress it as it dried. Every few days I would tighten the bolts compresssing it more and more. Somewhere in ther middle of the project I gave up smoking pot and never finished it so can't say how it would have worked. Steve

Steve that's freaking hilarious!!! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:25:31 am by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 12:21:25 am »
@Badger: Finally got off the floor from the laughing fit and my eyes still haven't cleared. ROFL

I guess the strangest thing for me were the taxidermy rattlesnake heads of the "Evil Bow" I posted a while back. The cobra skinned one was unusual too but not as extreme.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 01:21:55 am »
Steve, see where that got ya!  :D  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 10:26:43 am »
I have a neat little yellow eye-lash viper but at the rate he eats/grows I'll be dead before he'd be of usable length.  I have a friend who has offered be a monster sized Gaboon Viper, a couple cobras and some misc pacific rattlers but so far I haven't taken him up on it.

And I agree 110% on the Rhino Vipers...one of the few must have for me, one day!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 03:33:40 pm »
Steve...I'd say its time to roll one up and finish up ur projects...no one likes quitters lol

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 06:36:45 pm »

Ron

Damn Ron...I didn't know anyone else even figured that one out.... ;D

Figured it out!?!  The first time I saw it I thought we might be related. ;D ;D ;D

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 08:32:33 pm »
I have a fancy to try politician's tongues. Or mabybe their palms, but I figured they would be to greasey ;D.
Del

Not enough acetone or denatured alcohol in the world to get the grease off them kinda hides. ;D

Ron
couldnt agree more, cant wait for that date to appear on the calendar ;D
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what