Author Topic: A good return  (Read 2253 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: A good return
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 02:25:50 pm »
Purty yella wood! Hmm, you lucked out on the worms - woulda looked like swiss cheese around here :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 03:12:03 pm »
You got that right.  I did 2 bow backs last night and killed 10 borers easy. 

That is some nice wood there.  I think fence posts make the best bows, especially corner posts.  Looks a little like what we see down here, thin rings on the outside and thicker ones towards the center.  At first I thought those were billets.  Dang, that is some really REALLY straight wood.  I don't mind worm holes much anymore, just hog off the top quarter inch of yeller wood when doing the sapwood.  I'm with Jawge though, I'd be borrowing some boys to split that up and then take a nap from the exertion of watching them work. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Timo

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 08:56:13 pm »
I was surprised at how well the back of this wood kept. Not sure what process it went through to keep the bores out and keep it from checking? There were virtually no checks, even in the ends. I am at my wits ends trying to figure that one out.

I don't mind splitting Osage,after many many swings at more trees than I can remember,one comes to read the trouble areas and guide your wedges according. This wood was a breeze to conquer,Everything just went straight.

As for this wood lasting me a long time? It will probly be gone before next bow building season. ;D But I got plenty more to cut yet this year. ;)