Author Topic: 2 questions...  (Read 2098 times)

Offline SiongSA

2 questions...
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:26:54 am »
Hey guys,
Checked out the bow i'm working on today and i need to address two problems. Firstly, how do you remove tool marks completely? and during the scraping to get the stave to floor tiller i snagged up a big splinter on the belly that i had to take out, the hole were it was is about 1.5mm deep and 6inches long, it looks real ugly so any ideas of what to fill it up with to make it look good? i was thinking a wax of some sort or a varnish, any ideas?

Sion,
South africa

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: 2 questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:31:32 am »
After long string tillering I go to less aggressive wood removal tools like a scrapers. I use a Swedish pushknife as a scraper. Makes for less sanding and scraping to take out tool marks. I am in no hurry when making bows.
As for the belly splinter, what caused it? What tool are you you using? Board or log stave? Pictures please.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:10:08 pm »
After long string tillering I go to less aggressive wood removal tools like a scrapers. I use a Swedish pushknife as a scraper. Makes for less sanding and scraping to take out tool marks. I am in no hurry when making bows.
As for the belly splinter, what caused it? What tool are you you using? Board or log stave? Pictures please.
Jawge
I was using my pocket knife to get it down to floor tiller (i'm very limited in the tool department) on a ash stave not a board, When i was getting it down to floor tiller i hit a knot a little to aggressively and it came up

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 02:26:15 pm »
An ideas ???

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 02:41:37 pm »
Bows I make for me still have tool marks on them.  I figure primitive folk used what worked as opposed to what looked perfect.  Now, in your case I would probably fill that one with sawdust and super glue.  Removing that much wood would probably change your tiller.  If you still have some weight to lose you might be able to scrape it off.  I always go draw knife to scraper to sandpaper as I work the belly (and back).  Sometimes I use a sanding drum to even things up but never towards the end.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 04:38:02 pm »
Bows I make for me still have tool marks on them.  I figure primitive folk used what worked as opposed to what looked perfect.  Now, in your case I would probably fill that one with sawdust and super glue.  Removing that much wood would probably change your tiller.  If you still have some weight to lose you might be able to scrape it off.  I always go draw knife to scraper to sandpaper as I work the belly (and back).  Sometimes I use a sanding drum to even things up but never towards the end.

Good luck,
George
What about wood glue, i prefer working with it over SG

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 04:56:08 pm »
Wood glue would probably work fine for you.  The only issue I've had with wood glue and sawdust is that it shrinks a little as it dries.  If you're filling a large area it might take a couple applications to get what you want.  If your bow wood is white, the repair might appear a little yellowish, depending on the glue you use.  Jawge is right though, I'm guessing without a picture of the problem.  I'm at work, so if you've posted a picture and they're blocking it here, I apologize.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:02:23 pm »
Wood glue would probably work fine for you.  The only issue I've had with wood glue and sawdust is that it shrinks a little as it dries.  If you're filling a large area it might take a couple applications to get what you want.  If your bow wood is white, the repair might appear a little yellowish, depending on the glue you use.  Jawge is right though, I'm guessing without a picture of the problem.  I'm at work, so if you've posted a picture and they're blocking it here, I apologize.

George
sorry my camera's bust:(