Author Topic: Osage stave?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline HickoryBill

Osage stave?
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:05:50 pm »
I got a good thick ringed Osage stave this weekend.( Thanks Straightarrow) I got a good ring chased and the bow roughed out. What I need help with is design. The stave is 61 inches long. So with the nocks cut in I'm looking at about 59.5 NTN. Should I( Could I) make it stiff handled? Or "D" style, bending through the handle. I'm trying for around 50#@26.Thanks guys. Bill
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Osage stave?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:26:56 pm »
Oh yeah, you can make it stiff handled and get a 28" draw out of it probably. Better if the stiff handle was small. A d bow would be safer and stress the wood less. Bows that bend threw the handle are more shocky though. In my opinion d bows pull smoother and are funner to shoot. I made a 40" osage d bow that pulled to at least 26" a long time ago, had to be around 50#, before I ever knew that I wasn't supposed to do that. :) Ended up sinewing and then the sinew screwed up the tiller, and just left it lopsided and wierd looking. (was like the first bow that really shot good, so I didn't care). But I know it can be done for sure.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:35:04 pm »
I use the 'double draw and ad 10%' rule for stiff handled bows.  (26+26) x 1.10 = 57.2

With the extra length you got, you have a margin of safety.  With the above equation I end up with 4" handle and the fades are 1.5" leaving good bending limb length.  With the 59.5 inches you have of workable bow, you might slow the bow down with extra limb length, but can make it up by starting the limb taper closer to the handle, or even go with a pyramid design. 

Good luck!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 01:15:28 am »
I think you can do it. I've gone 60" ntn with osage.  I'd go with a 3.5-4 in, 1.5 in fades.  There is nothin wrong with bend in the handle bows. You can even get the bending into the handle and fades with a narrowed handle but the tiller is tricky. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 01:28:27 am »
My static recurves are 60" t/t and I draw 26". With these bows I can feel the handle give a little right at full draw. I'm sure I can go shorter.  You may want to kick the tips up a little to keep the string angle low.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 01:38:02 am »

Oh yeah, you can make it stiff handled and get a 28" draw out of it probably. Better if the stiff handle was small. A d bow would be safer and stress the wood less. Bows that bend threw the handle are more shocky though. In my opinion d bows pull smoother and are funner to shoot. I made a 40" osage d bow that pulled to at least 26" a long time ago, had to be around 50#, before I ever knew that I wasn't supposed to do that. :) Ended up sinewing and then the sinew screwed up the tiller, and just left it lopsided and wierd looking. (was like the first bow that really shot good, so I didn't care). But I know it can be done for sure.

Gonna have to say HMMM? to that one. ???

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 01:41:09 am »
I've built several Osage bows 58" ntn drawing 28", back when Dean had the ABC contest going. Good Osage will handle it well,even with a stiff handle.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 01:42:22 am »
   Ignorance is bliss! ...but that has put us where we are today in wood bow archery. When I started folks would have spliced 2 of these staves together to build a bow!  :D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 01:43:22 am »
A good bend through the handle self bow with perfect tiller will draw 1/2 of it's length. I do it all the time.

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 12:59:02 pm »
 >:D Yes he does. I have 3 bows to prove it.2 are 52'' ntn and draw a clean 26'' and 1 thats 42'' with a 21'' draw.

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies