Author Topic: Fish scale's  (Read 1917 times)

Offline HickoryBill

Fish scale's
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:43:11 pm »
Where have you guys been getting your fish scales,for measuring bow weight? ( the ones that use them). I have one that I got from my dad that is now broke. The ones I've been seeing on the internet are either to light or are really expensive. It there one out there that is more economical? Thanks for the help.... Bill
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Fish scale's
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:00:06 am »
If you got one near ya, tractor supply co sells a scale that goes up to 110 for about 40 bucks. Thats the one that I use.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 12:04:54 am »
Walmart has one.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:05:00 am »
Look for hanson scales on ebay or Archery talk I got a brand new 100# hanson scale for $30.00 shipped, well it had been used a couple times but was in perfect condition!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:06:57 pm »
Bass Pro has a red one that I use that goes up to 100 lbs I think I paid 25 bucks for it... been using it a year or two with no problems... I wouldnt use a 50 lb scale especially if you are making a bunch of 50 lb bows... pulling a scale to its max weight all the time can't be good for it. :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:53:41 pm »
i use a regular analog bathroom scale. cost me ten bucks from target. just put the bow on a stick, put the stick on the scale, and give her a pull. works great and goes to 300 lbs.
Its only wood

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:06:53 pm »
Good point Josh, plus a scale is most accurate at its halfway point ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:44:04 am »
Dang, saw the title and thought someone had a new backing to show off!
I just use a bathroom scale for checking weight then use the tiller tree for tillering. Got to keep an eye on both to watch for any hinges that may appear.
Had a bow break a few years back while my old fish scale was attached on the tree and had springs and dials flaying more than wood, so now I just use the bathroom scale. (my wife got a new one so I got the old one) works better I think because it's easier to see than from 8 feet away!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 09:24:13 pm »
Thanks guys, I just picked one up at Tractor Supply for $40.00.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania