Author Topic: THE HISTORY OF STEAM AND HEAT  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Blacktail

THE HISTORY OF STEAM AND HEAT
« on: March 24, 2011, 07:12:24 pm »
does any one know what has the most history behind it for bending wood...i am think that steam has been used for a longer time...BUT,i might be very wrong about it..dont ask me why i am asking this...its just a question that keeps coming up in my head...thanks john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: THE HISTORY OF STEAM AND HEAT
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 07:54:27 pm »
John, I'd say it would be steam or boiling in modern times but indigenous people have been using dry heat(fire) and grease to manipulate wood for as long as they have been working with wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: THE HISTORY OF STEAM AND HEAT
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:29:46 pm »
Pit fire ovens are often steam heating arrangements and I've read at least on account of native Americans using such an arrangement to heat shape elk horn strips for horn bows.   Dry heat was used on green and dry wood.  (Again based on reading, I can't site sources.)  Shaping wood by bending the wood green and then tying to a form and allowing the wood to cure in the form was also used.  That suggests  that all three methods were used by prehistoric ( in the sense of before written records) peoples.  That sort of makes a definitive answer impossible.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers