Author Topic: hickory walnut molly  (Read 8466 times)

Offline Caius

Re: hickory walnut molly
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 12:17:02 pm »
Thats a sick looking bow, I'm super jealous.

Whats the structural dis/advantage of the stiff upper limbs?
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"
Edmonton, AB

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 12:18:58 pm »
We should develop the "ken75 challenge"  who ever can make 75 bows in a week earns the title.   ;D

Your bows are AWESOME!  I love seeing them and I love knowing that you can make them so fast.  It's inspiring.  You have good creativity and a good eye for design.

I've told my self that a hickory molly is my next bow project and I can't wait to get to work on it.  I really like what you've done with the accents and handle.  

There is an old saying / question "Quality or Quantity?" that is designed to remind people to focus on doing good work and tends to imply that Quantity does not always

translate to Quality.   You my friend have both!  Thanks for sharing your bows with us!!!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline barebo

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 12:50:45 pm »
FIFTY - TWO INCHES ????!!! That's an amazing thing for me !!! It has every quality you could want in a bow.
Is there a certain method that is used at the transition from the limb to the levers to prevent it from failure ??
I'd like to try this style, but don't have a clue about the build sequence. Sure is Sweet !!!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 02:18:01 pm »
Caius, thank you ,i havent found a disadvantage, anytime you can have stiff light tips no matter if its a semi pyramid, molly ,or whatever you have a recovery speed and reduced hand shock advantage. another plus to stiff non or barely bending tips is a more open string angle and less stack which also improves performance.

Arrowind , thank you ,its seems like i build a lot i know , i usually lay up and glue several at a time and then in a couple days i cut them all out , so when i get time i can finish them pretty quick. i do go weeks sometimes depending on my shift work that i dont post any.

barebow thanks, the limb to lever transition or fade should be done like the handle fades . just thickin it as it narrows .as long as you follow that same transition rule like with the handles you wont have a problem. also hillbilly61 just did a build along that should explain layout and finish in the "how to " section

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 09:43:10 pm »

Arrowind , thank you ,its seems like i build a lot i know , i usually lay up and glue several at a time and then in a couple days i cut them all out , so when i get time i can finish them pretty quick. i do go weeks sometimes depending on my shift work that i dont post any.

All I can say is keep'em coming.  You do great work and seeing some of the bows you're building gives me good ideas for my own.  Once again that bow is AWESOME!   
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline ken75

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 12:55:59 am »
thank you sir !!

Offline ken75

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 12:37:23 pm »
Caius the one thing i forgot to mention is the lever advantage . it forces the working limbs to work harder

Offline madmax46

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 05:11:49 pm »
Sounds like you got a good system going there, Ken.   So organized!   I'm envious.
"Work like you don't need the money, dance like no one is watching, and love like you've never been hurt."    ...Mark Twain

Offline PeteC

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 06:44:16 pm »
That's really a neat bow Ken.I really like the walnut on the levers.Great work. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline ken75

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 12:41:51 am »
thanks PeteC your work is an inspiration to us all