Author Topic: hickory walnut molly  (Read 8401 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
hickory walnut molly
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:27:02 pm »
talked to half eye this mornin , found out it was 0 degrees up there and not fit for anything but sewing and girly stuff. so out of pitty ( its like 70 down here) i built this one this mornin after my midnight shift. of course it was glued up already . hickory molly selfbow with walnut accents on the levers and handle. 52 inches tip to tip , 53 lbs at 27 inches. 12 inch working limbs 1 3/4 to 1 1/4 . shoots good with very little stack for a shorty. hope ya'll aint tired of seein my bows

Offline toomanyknots

Re: hickory walnut molly
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:28:23 pm »
Come on now ken, your making the rest of look bad!  ;) Naw, I do that own my own, ( ;D ). I really like the look of the walnut overlayed on the lever. Really nice!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 02:00:42 pm »
I am usually not a 'molly' fan. But I like the look of this one. Well done.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 02:12:27 pm »
Man ken your knockin em out :o one yesterday before dinner one after dinner now a molly after breakfast lol ;D Nice work!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 05:04:56 pm »
nicely done, the woods look good together and the way you put the walnut underneath(underlay?) is sweet.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 05:51:38 pm »
Real nice like always... Now why would I ever get tired of seein some great bows?

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 06:19:13 pm »
That's a very cool looking bow. I've been inspired by half eye's Mollegabets too and am planning a red oak one. Hope it turns out half as nice as yours ken75!

Offline Acutus

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 06:28:14 pm »
Bet that's a fast shooter too. Great design love the lamination work. I do have one question I hope isn't stupid but whats Molly? ???

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 06:36:03 pm »
Bet that's a fast shooter too. Great design love the lamination work. I do have one question I hope isn't stupid but whats Molly? ???

That's not a stupid question at all, but this may be a stupid answer ;D As far as I know, Molly is short for Mollegabet, an archeology site in Europe (near a town of the same name?) where this style of bow was discovered. Sometimes it seems people use Mollegabet and Holmegaard (I'm probably not spelling these correctly) interchangeably since the two styles are similar and were both discovered near each other. Both designs are many thousands of years old. It's absolutely amazing what our ancestors were making that long ago, they weren't no fools!

Offline Acutus

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 06:45:49 pm »

That's not a stupid question at all, but this may be a stupid answer ;D As far as I know, Molly is short for Mollegabet, an archeology site in Europe (near a town of the same name?) where this style of bow was discovered. Sometimes it seems people use Mollegabet and Holmegaard (I'm probably not spelling these correctly) interchangeably since the two styles are similar and were both discovered near each other. Both designs are many thousands of years old. It's absolutely amazing what our ancestors were making that long ago, they weren't no fools!

LOL! Mollegabet!! I know the word but was never sure what the actual style was as I have heard the Mol and Holm words used interchangeably so much! Thanks! BTW: I couldn't spell them either so I would know if you did right or wrong. ;D

Offline ken75

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 07:43:54 pm »
thank you for the kind words , means a lot

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:44:29 pm »
Looks good Ken. Like the Walnut accents. half eye said he got like, a foot and half of snow. Now it's below freezing :D You live a couple hrs away from me. Did you get the cold front come through? It droped about 10-12 deg. from yesterday. I think we might have hit 72 today ;D Thought about puttin a jacket on ::) Just kiddin Rich ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 12:07:43 am »
3 words......short and sweet!
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline ken75

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 12:58:55 am »
Mark , its in the low 60's at night and mid 80's in the day , i didnt feel a cold front if it came through. i keep tryin to convince him to go south when the snow flies.
thanks Beetle

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 10:16:07 am »
I told him and Donna to come on down. My wife could keep her buisy shopping and Rich and I (you too) could go stick a pig. What better offer can that be? ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2