Author Topic: West Coast Oak  (Read 5610 times)

Offline Blacktail

West Coast Oak
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:30:06 am »
This is a little project that has been sitting in the closet for a while so I decided to get it done. It is a piece of scrap wood that is Oregon White Oak. It is sinew backed with elk leg tendon and it is also rawhide backed. The paint that is on it is charcoal and glue. It has three knots in it so one of the limbs, I think, looks a little stiff on it. It is 41 inches long. An inch and three quarters wide out to half inch nocks. It is 34 lbs at 19 inches. But I think that it gained some weight after I shot it 30 times. It seems to be stiffer now that I shot it. THe brace height is four and a half inches. The handle is corded dogbane. THanks for looking, John.

Offline Keenan

Re: West Coast Oak
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:59:26 am »
 :o  You just kicked in the afterburners and decided to kick out some bows? ;D   Very nice John, Love the paint scheme and tiller looks great. Hows she shoot?  You sure are getting those short D-style bows down. Well done

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 02:06:41 am »
another beauty. I never liked the shorties before seeing alot lately, now they are really starting to appeal to me. cool stuff John.btw is Oregon oak the same as Gary oak?
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 02:19:20 am »
thanks keenan and eric..eric,i am really not sure...that is a great question...john

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 02:41:42 am »
just did a google search (no not wikipedia) and yes it is the same thing also called shin oak among others
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 02:42:54 am »
Very cool bow!  I don't know if I could ever get used to shooting such a short draw but I sure like looking at creations like that!
Nate Danforth

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 03:00:45 am »
 :o Man you been busy very nice! I bet that thing flings em quik
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 03:05:27 am »
Nice bow blacktail :D I like the paintjob. Did you follow measurments from an original artifact?
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 03:42:25 am »
thanks guys for the kind words..legionnaire,why yes i did...i got from a book that most people not have...BOWS ARROWS AND QUIVERS OF THE AMERICAN FRONTIER BY JOHN BALDWIN...and the book is on the spender side..john

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 03:57:07 am »
Thanks for the reply, and for the info of the book, sounds like the book id like to have, ill check it out.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 07:18:09 am »
As I just said in Legionaires thread: I love painted bows!
Frank from Germany...

HatchA

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 08:00:34 am »
Nice looking bow!  I've always wondered how "comfortable" the handle is on that style bow.  Not quite "ergonomic", if you get what I mean?  If I ever build up the courage to try a sinew backing, I'll put one on my list :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 08:45:02 am »
Another very nice one,you been busy. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 10:58:51 am »
Beautiful bow! 

How long did you let the sinew cure before you glued on the rawhide?  How long did you let the rawhide cure before you started shooting?  If the sinew and/or rawhide weren't fully cured before you started shooting, you can expect the bow to gain weight as they cure.  Not sure how much, maybe as much as 10 pounds, depending. 

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 01:33:27 pm »
That dogbane wrap tops it off. Went that extra mile to really put that sole into it that store bought mass produced anything wouldn't. Nice.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair