Author Topic: white ash build along (finally done( this time for real))  (Read 60595 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: white ash build along
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2011, 09:31:15 pm »
the only reason im doing it that way is its easier to measure and be more accurate with small sizes ;D

Ya copy that the most presice I go is 16ths unless im spining arrows then I get into 32nds :o Well keep up the good work

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2011, 12:19:06 am »
i like yo use a difital caliper,it goes metric to .00,and sae to .000

[/quote]

Ya copy that

Josh
[/quote]

hmmmmmmmmmmm, me thinks someone had or does have a cb radio  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2011, 12:38:43 am »
hold on around another 1/2 hour and ill have some early stage tillering pics ;D ;D ;D, it all of a sudden feels right and perfect ;D
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2011, 01:26:26 am »
ok here are the tillering pics in a progression, i still have a far way to go, but its a start ;D

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2011, 01:51:20 am »
That hurts my shoulders just looking at it. :D  good work so far, can't wait to see it come around.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2011, 02:01:53 am »
this is soo scarry doing this with low ceilings :-[, i also learned to secure it to the stick with a rope because i was pulling down, directly underneath and it slid off :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(, ouch, directly onto my head, luckily iy was only around 30lb draw weight there ;D
noel

Offline RyanY

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2011, 04:15:23 am »
The left limb looks pretty good but the right looks like it's bending more mid limb. What was the approx. draw weight at that distance?

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2011, 11:50:20 am »
The left limb looks pretty good but the right looks like it's bending more mid limb. What was the approx. draw weight at that distance?
ya im trying to take that slight hinge out a little at a time to keep as uch weight as i can, im not exactly sure of the weight, as it stretches the tillering string too much to acuratly reed it. it at where im guessing it will be braced at, but my clossest estimate at the point its pulled to is around 50-60, which sounds right for the brace height of this weight bow, i might be wrong though on the weight, im not the most experienced as far as who many bows iv'e made
noel

Offline Ian.

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2011, 01:38:20 pm »
Looking good so far im sure you know how to remove a hinge so I wont comment on that,
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2011, 02:22:39 pm »
With all those tools in the background it looks like one of those spot the difference pictures.
I got it! the saw is missing in pic3..
Del
(You didn't go back and look did you >:D?)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2011, 02:28:38 pm »
Fish I dont know if you have seen this but you may want to take a look kinda cool build http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/43052 notice the size of this piece of wood as its being tillered :o
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline DEllis

« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2011, 05:44:17 pm »
Looking good. Take it slow and easy, you'll get it :)
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2011, 07:38:14 pm »
did a little more tillering before dinner ;Di also have a picture of the back profile,
by the way, what would you guys suggest for a finish, i was reading and saw something on shellac, and i want to try it, but not sure where to get, or how well it would work ???
thanks noel

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2011, 08:47:00 pm »
fish I think the first thing you need to consintrate on is getting those limbs bending with an even arc and both limbs bending even then get that hog on a short string. I have never used shellac so I cant give ya any info on that except you can get it at most hardware paint sections but the finish is a long ways off and as others have said take one thing at a time as you have a ways before a finish will be applied . It looks like the right limb still has a small hinge in it from what I can see ??? so correct that first then make sure both limbs are pulling even. Are you pulling from the center of the string in the last pic? might just look off because of the angle that the picture was taken ??? I am sure someone with a better eye will weigh in here soon.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:50:54 pm by Elktracker »

Offline Ian.

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2011, 08:52:14 pm »
Thats looking better, I don't know what your plan of action is but if it was me I would leave the tips alone until its braced now just remove a little from the right side of the centre.

Ash needs a water proof finish shellac is good, you can get plastic coat spray cans that work but it depends if you want to go a bit more traditional.

Well done keep it up
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/