Author Topic: It broke  (Read 5490 times)

Offline Arrowind

It broke
« on: March 26, 2011, 01:37:14 am »
I was making a bow for my daughter.  White Oak, 60" ttt, about 1" wide tapering to 1/2" at the tips, burlap backed, static recurve.  The goal was 25# at 25".  The tiller was even and it was no problem pulling 20# so I decided to pull to 25# and then I heard a faint crack, crack, cracking and I knew the inevitable was going to happen so I just kept pulling to 25# to see what would happen then CRACK and splinters flying.  I guess I can't be surprised since the grain runs up at an angle to the back....but I thought that with such a light draw it may hold.  I was curious to see if it would work. Now I know.  And it was fun.  Can't learn if you don't try.   I suppose if the limbs were 2" wide it may have held....I going to find a straighter grain piece and try again.

Starting over.....
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Acutus

Re: It broke
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:46:54 am »
sorry it broke Arrow. We do tend to learn more from our failures the our successes. I have a friend who has had trouble making lighter draw bows as well but does fantastic on the higher draw weight bows of all shapes.

Offline SA

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 01:54:22 am »
man i just had one blow up on me too,it was 60" 25#  white oak for a kid. not sure im likin white oak .
Shawn Acker

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 02:38:50 am »
Sorry your bow broke but it looks like it broke along the grain. The grain along the sides is as important as the grain on the back!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 06:25:15 am »
Yeah, I'd rather make a 40# than a 25# any day.
Tough, but it's character forming... one day when the chips are down you'll thank that bow for makin' you a man ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 06:34:55 am »
That fade out was very steep; possibly added to the grain problem Pat mentions.
Sorry it broke, but yes: it's a good teacher!
Frank from Germany...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 11:12:35 am »
I am glad it broke on the rope and pulley. Bad grain for sure. You really pushed the wood too. You have a non bending handle of several inches and static recurves of 3 inches. That doesn't give much leeway. If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin'! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 11:57:09 am »
Acutus - Thanks. I agree...Failure = Success.  I just learned one way NOT to make a 25# bow for my daughter.   ;D

SA - From what I understand I think White Oak is supposed to be a better wood than Red Oak...I think I just made a bad choice with the grain not being strait enough.
       I've been using Hickory for other bows so I've been a little spoiled.  It seems like you can make mistakes and never know it. That wood just holds together.

Pat B - Thanks! That's a point I'm starting to understand a little more.  Now it is embedded in my nervous system thanks to this bow.

Del the cat - dude you make me laugh.  :D

Medicinewheel - Yeah.  It was a good clean break right along the grain.  Backing or not it protested and won.  I was surprised that I wasn't just beside myself with grief.  It was actually fun.  This is the first time I steam bent the tips and it worked.  The tiller was coming out nice so I can feel good about that AND I know with out question the grain was not straight enough.  That knowledge will save me time in the future because I will be much more selective about the grain. A good teacher for sure.

Jawge - "I am glad it broke on the rope and pulley."  I know why you are saying that and I really appreciate it!  This experience has helped me learn quite a bit.  I didn't realize I was stressing the wood so much because of the low intended draw weight but I'm glad you pointed that out and explained why.  Thanks.   
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:56:52 pm »
Better to break there than when your daughter is drawing it is what I meant. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 04:41:54 pm »
Better to break there than when your daughter is drawing it is what I meant. Jawge

I think most of us take risks with questionable woods, quirky designs, etc.  And for the most part we build those bows to push the envelope in order to improve out skills, we all understand failures teach more than a bow that "just happens".  But we all are careful about whose hands those risky bows end up in.  I recently gave a guy his deposit back and told him I couldn't finish a bow for him because of the way he treated some of the bows in my rack (Ken75, I GUARANTEE pinhead didn't even see the bows you sent me, much less handle them!!!).  The guy called me a few names to my face, but called back a week later to apologize and asked me for contact information for stave dealers.  I was actually happy to oblige him.  If he builds it he'll respect it more or pay the price.  Hehehe, darwinism applies to bows.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 04:56:32 pm »
yup...looks like it was cut from a twisted tree or at an angle...annual rings may look straight on the back and belly but the grain is not continuous

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 09:24:44 pm »
sorry bout your break !, what bothers me is how the wood looks on the inside. might not have been good regardless of grain

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 09:31:25 pm »

For sure!  That is a much better point then I thought you were making!   ;D 

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 09:33:20 pm »
sorry bout your break !, what bothers me is how the wood looks on the inside. might not have been good regardless of grain

Thanks ken75 - what is it about the inside that bothers you? I thought it looked a little odd but I would have no idea if that is how it should look or not...

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 12:54:23 am »
it resembles wood that ive seen that wasnt dried properly and had little decay pockets. could be wrong but it doesnt look like the healthy w oak ive used