Author Topic: flu flu fletch length  (Read 7549 times)

Offline aero86

flu flu fletch length
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:18:12 pm »
i wanna make a couple flu flu arrows. i bought some green and red full size feathers.  id like to use 3 fletches.  how long should i make them?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline sailordad

Re: flu flu fletch length
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:41:51 pm »
my opinion on flu flus
the more fltch the better
i keep them so they jusy clear the bow when at brace
and as tall as possible
the more feather the faster it slows it down
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:49:32 pm »
yeah, these will be full height.  guess ill have to see what the brace height is on my bow! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:52:36 pm »
I usually go with 4.5 to 5.5 depending on the bow.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:01:34 am »
i use 4, 3"  feathers and also 6, 3 " feathers but all mine are wild turkey feathers.
doc

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:35:58 am »
the bow im using actually has a center shot cut out shelf.. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 02:09:05 am »
What will you be using these flu flus for? Ground hunting, squirrel hunting, flight shooting?   I like a single, full length feather spiral wrapped on the shaft. I can shoot these accurately at 15 yards just like my hunting arrows and shoot at(  ::) ) squirrels with them but after 30 yards they drop dead(the flu flus, not the squirrels).  The spiral wraped flu flus puts on brakes sooner that a standard 3 or 6 fletched flu flu. 
  For standard fletched flu flus I usually made them the same length as my regular arrows but left them unchopped(unburned).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 10:23:19 am »
mostly squirrel hunting, and a bit of ground hunting. so, when spiral wrapping them, do you tie off the front end of the feather?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 10:09:32 pm »
Yes. The last few I made I used fletch tape, layed the spiral then ties them forward and rear.  You can just tie the front, spiral the feather and tie the back without glue or tape.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 12:06:40 am »
forgot about my fletch tape!  good idea!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 01:35:58 am »
Fletch tape is quick and easy!

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 09:06:45 am »
To make it easier, put the tape on the arrow shaft first and lay the feather on the tape.  Trying to hold a pre taped feather off the shaft while making the spiral is a lot harder in my opinion.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:54:46 am »
I normally make my flu flus fletchings the same lengh as my regular arrows.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 10:58:52 pm »
I agree with Pat B,

The best flu flus I have made used full length feathers spirally wound around the shaft. I use pins to hold them in place while the glue dried. Tried others with 6, 5.5 inch shield cut feathers or 6 full height approx 6 inch long feathers but could not see any advantage, the disadvantage being the time to make and the cost of the feathers

Craig.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 08:54:32 am »
What will you be using these flu flus for? Ground hunting, squirrel hunting, flight shooting?   I like a single, full length feather spiral wrapped on the shaft. I can shoot these accurately at 15 yards just like my hunting arrows and shoot at(  ::) ) squirrels with them but after 30 yards they drop dead(the flu flus, not the squirrels).  The spiral wraped flu flus puts on brakes sooner that a standard 3 or 6 fletched flu flu. 
  For standard fletched flu flus I usually made them the same length as my regular arrows but left them unchopped(unburned).

Same here. I've tried the full height, using 3RW and 3LW faceing each other ata hard hellical. but I like the way the full spiral works. Like Pat said, 30  yards and dead drop   "the flu flus, not the squirrels"
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2