Author Topic: splices for bows  (Read 5750 times)

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
splices for bows
« on: March 31, 2011, 01:40:39 am »
the followin are Z splice---- fish-tail splice- lap-(scarf splice)- butt splice

Offline cracker

Re: splices for bows
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:37:29 am »
When doing a z splice do you want everything to fit tight and perfect or do you want a bit of space for glue?Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 09:44:22 am »
Very nice, but I'm confused James.  I was taught that a Z-splice looked like this:

and that the slash to the Z ran right down the centerline of the bow.  I use that property to line up the future bow on its centerline.  Also, both sides of the splice are identical.  I would call your top 2 splices a double fishtail and a single fishtail.  I know you've done more splices than I have, so I could surely be wrong.  If so, I would just add that there is another splice that I like to use and now I'm not sure of its name.  ???

O wait, maybe you're referring to splices in a backing?  In that case I would not use what I call a Z-splice, only the ones you show.

George
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:50:42 am by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:15:50 pm »
i meant to write W splice,, i dont use a Z splice much, most bowyers that use it ,also add a wood dowle through the center of the Z ,, cant do that on a lam or boo strip

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:03:27 pm »
O yes, W-splice.  That's right.  There are actually 2 dowels in that splice I showed and I also agree it would not be a good backing splice.  You were talking about backings.  Sorry to have confused the issue.

George
St Paul, TX