Author Topic: Systems class lesson and PA trade objects used to teach students  (Read 1676 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
So I have not been on here that long at all.  In fact, let me apologize for not properly introducing myself to the site.  I just kind of jumped in and started playing on the site.  I have been reading on here and dreaming about having “stuff like that” some day.  I am hoping to make my first working bow at the classic in the BBI bow class. 
A little bit about me.  I was born in Hidalgo de Parral, Chihuahua, Mexico.  We came to this country when I was 3 ½.  I am married.  Have been for 15 years now.  I have three kids.  Twelve and ten year old daughters and a 7 year old son.  I attend church regularly and am blessed beyond what I deserve.  It is only by the grace of God that I am in this wonderful country living the “American” dream.  God has worked miracles in my life and I am blessed to be on a walk with Jesus. 
I am a first grade teacher and I absolutely love my job. 
In my classroom I attempt to expose my students to as much of the real and natural world as I can.  I don’t want their background knowledge on Native Americans to be solely based on the Thanksgiving activities in school where some students got Pilgrim hats and others got feathers. 
When I can, which is often I bring in hands on real live “things” into my classroom to demonstrate such things as the inventiveness of Native Americans and how they utilized their natural resources.  This week in science we have been studying “systems-two or more parts working together.” 
I have been blessed with a beautiful Elk drum and rattles from Autumnbear which the students enjoyed very much!!!  Then I demonstrated how an atlatl works and it came from Jamie Burleigh.  Of course the dart is a crude attempt by me.  It is a curtain rod, but it demonstrated the point.  The quiver came from HickoryBill and the kids sure wanted to put it one and go chase rabbits with a quiver full of arrows and a bow. 
The other things in the picture are odd and ends that I had and have made. 
Thank you to all of you for the info, and for the warm welcome.  Most of all thank you for making all of first grade at my school more enjoyable and interesting. 
Cipriano    ;D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

Re: Systems class lesson and PA trade objects used to teach students
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:13:05 pm »
Pics
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline DEllis

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:27:17 pm »
Cool stuff Cipriano, I bet the kids liked that.
You're the kind of school teacher we need and don't get too often these days :)
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 05:58:38 pm »
Gran trabajo amigo  I wish I had a teacher like you when I was that age
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 01:23:44 am »
I hope the "stuff" I bring to you at the Classic will be enlightening to your kids. Keep up the good work...and thank you for your service to our country!  8)  Education!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 02:19:43 am »
Thank you for the kind words Darcy. Thank you mucho Skyarrow.. Pat B I know that my students and fellow teachers will apreciate what you give us!!! I know it will be enlightening.. De nada ;) It is my honor ;D

cipriano 

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 10:46:02 am »
I'm, glad I could help out!!! 
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 03:41:19 am »

Wal, Gol Darn it Boy, you shore took yor time introducing yorself!  I was just about a Frog hair from saying how rude, and crude, and down right uppity you were by not following proper protocol, and etiquette, before actually posting on here.  Did you hear anyone say anything about not properly introducing yourself?  You have nothing to apologize for , and like the others I too thank you for giving the future generation a feel for the real thing, and what our ancestors went to, to get us to where we are today.  Like the others said I wish I had teachers like when I was a kid.  Sure would have been a better class leaning about our ancestors, than sitting around scratching cuneiform in wet clay tablets...... ;D ;D ::)  Yeah, I wish more teachers would forgo the dumbing down of American schools, and get back to basics, like reading, writing, mathematics, and teaching the Constitution again,and teach about the real world, and not Hollywood's version of it. ;D  Boy, there jes ain't no proper way of getting here and posting stuff !  Ya got sumptin ta say, say it!  Got sumptin ta show, show it!  Ain't no dues to pay, cept fer membership, and once ya got that taken care, of hit the key board, and show us what ya got, or are working on. ;) 8)

Wayne

Wayne