Author Topic: Hornbow handle splice for cupid-ish bows with reflexed limbs  (Read 7376 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Hornbow handle splice for cupid-ish bows with reflexed limbs
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:07:35 pm »
Just curious if anybody knows of a link or website where i might find examples of this, atarn has been to no avail so far... I'm just curious. Thinking of making a very light weight little wooden bow with reflexed limbs for fun. This is what I'm talking about:

http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2021

I wanna make a handle splice that will have the limbs relfexed forward already without having to steam bend the limbs, no matter which way I type it is sounds confusing to me, :).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline half eye

Re: Hornbow handle splice for cupid-ish bows with reflexed limbs
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:48:08 pm »
toomany,
       Lost all my pics when the hard drive went down....but relocated these. A horn plate bellied bow from Jiayuguan, Gansu. It came from a grave and is cool because it wass not assembled. You can see the splice they used , and the horn/bone grip reinforcement plates (one back and belly) and the bow's shape if it were to be assembled.
      Not exactly what ya wanted but may give ya some ideas, of one way to do it.
rich

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:40:11 pm »
Wooaah, thank you richard! I didn't expect to see one like that!

"Lost all my pics when the hard drive went down"

Hate that. I usually have to delete mine from freaking adware or some unknown virus. Or at least I did until I learned that it was my actual virus protection software that was infecting my computer! I guess it's a good business model,  ???. After getting rid of it haven't had any problems at all for a year.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:45:44 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:09:52 am »
v-splices are generally used for horn bows.  do you happen to have adams book on turkish horn bows?  it has everything you need to know for building a horn bow.  i know you said all wood, but your going for that style. 

we seem to have the same idea.  i was gonna build a bow this way. was going to use a bigger block of wood, v splice the limbs on at an angle and then glue in some kasan's..  was gonna try to build a mild korean style bow  out of osaged backed with sinew.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:52:39 am »
"v-splices are generally used for horn bows.  do you happen to have adams book on turkish horn bows?  it has everything you need to know for building a horn bow.  i know you said all wood, but your going for that style.

we seem to have the same idea.  i was gonna build a bow this way. was going to use a bigger block of wood, v splice the limbs on at an angle and then glue in some kasan's..  was gonna try to build a mild korean style bow  out of osaged backed with sinew."

Heres my ideal:

Wood handle cut at angle with miter saw and limbs.

(or preferable SINEW.)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:59:24 am by toomanyknots »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 12:56:52 am »

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:04:26 am »
hope your gonna go for less of an angle.  idk how much draw youd be able to get with just a wood bow. 

my thinking behind the v-splice..  like i said, id use a big block for the handle, glue them on, then shape the handle.  then lay the sinew over that, that way, once the handle is shaped, the sinew will help to reinforce the whole joint, as it will be applied to all pieces of wood involved in the joint.  id really like to see the mock up of yours though.  ive got pieces of osage drying right now.  should actually be ready to be worked..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 06:19:19 am »
Hi guys,
Great thread, @Halfeye, thanks for posting those pics...V interesting.
This is even more stuff I'll have to get round to some day...this darned 'to do' list just grows and grows ::).
Us guys have it soooo tough ;D.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 11:44:20 am »
No wood can handle that degree of setback. The best you could do would be Ipe or Osage glued to a backset handle/powerlam with annother powerlam on top of that feathering out and then a hickory back strip over that and sinew on the hickory.
 Basically like your diagram with the belly strip wrapping around that handle piece and your curves much more subtle.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 03:56:19 pm »
"No wood can handle that degree of setback."

I believe that it can if the dimensions are right, which would be wide and thin. As well as a perfect pyramid taper and consistent thickness which usually gives a perfect circular tiller. Coarse that ain't nothing but words, if you wait a while I should have one ready and sinewed up sometime, kinda is my next little project. :) On these bows the longer the levers are like a molly the more draw you get out of the bow for the less the limbs actually have to move. The limbs would just be prestressed alot. Oh, and those pictures were just drawings, not to scale but just to give an idea/help me get a look at what I was thinking in my head
. I probably wouldn't have that much setback in the handle, I was just showing the way to make it. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 04:04:47 pm by toomanyknots »