Author Topic: arrowhead styles  (Read 3628 times)

Offline CanadianDIYer

arrowhead styles
« on: April 10, 2011, 06:49:44 am »
before I start, I am probably going to use a lot of incorrect terminology and this might be confusing, sorry :P

I was just wondering what "style" of arrowhead is the strongest, what I mean by that is on the native American arrows, they used obsidian blades and cut notches into the shaft. whereas a bodkin has a socket to slide over the shaft. I am NOT concerned with what the arrowhead is made of, more so how it is attached. Is the "native American" style arrowhead weaker than a bodkin if the head is bound with string?

I have a sheet of 16 gauge steel I was going to use for arrowheads and attach them the "native American way" how will those hold up to regular target practice?

Thanks!

Offline crooketarrow

Re: arrowhead styles
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:15:52 am »
   I only practice the hunting heads. And shoot my arrows 1000's of times a year.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:35:49 am »
   I only shoot hunting heads. And shoot my arrows 1000's of times a year. Haft mine right to the shaft. I just make sure I have a tight fit and on my practice arrows I usually use some sort of epoxy with real sinew. Rap it 1/4" behind the head very,very seldom have one more.
  As far as design of notch's I've used all kinds as long as theres a notch they tighten up fine. Truthfully even the ones that don't have notch's tighten up fine with the epoxy.
  16 Th is just find 2 hacksaw blades should work find.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:15:06 pm »
I'm like crooketarrow, mine are all hafted on, I believe they are stronger than screw-in types or glue-on types. After thousands of shots I found that as the sinew starts to wear a little I smooth it back down with clear fingernail polish (lacquer) and they are good to go for way more shooting. I have never lost one in a target or a game animal, and given the choice I wont shoot anything but the hafted heads.  Here's a pic to show how I do then, even with different head styles I still haft them
JMO
rich

Offline CanadianDIYer

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 03:31:24 am »
Thanks for the input! since i dont have sinew, ill use some Dacron b50 i have, that should work just as well, right?

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 12:47:39 am »
after you wrap with dacron.put some glue on it.i use duco.it works real good for me,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline CanadianDIYer

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 04:55:17 am »
Thanks for the input! ill make sure to put a dab of glue on it. those arrows look really nice Rich!