Author Topic: Fort Payne Chert?  (Read 3430 times)

Offline WOODSLORE

Fort Payne Chert?
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:27:12 pm »
Howdy yall. I recently ran out of knappable stone. :o :'(
So I got on the "puter" and started diggin .::)
I came across a place called, Paleo Artifacts.com they sell Fort Payne Chert in all sizes and coloures.
Now I am thinkin of placing an order but have never seen the stuff knapped so if you guys have ever used the stuff please post some pics.

Thanks fellas,
Zak
Paleo arts are a long sent gift from our ancestors.

If primitive meant dumb......none of us would have been born!

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Fort Payne Chert?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:54:42 pm »
Zak, Wished I could help ya but I have never hit any Ft. Payne. You going to make it to Presque Isle Trad shoot in May. I think you have to defend your Hawk throwin championship, alot of new an hungry throwers lookin to upset the champ. ;D ;D ;D Make sure an bring your knapin tools, See ya then, Later Bob

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:40:13 pm »
Yes you have bob :)
 That black dover you got from me was a type of ft payn.
 All the chert found in middle TN is fort payn from horse creek to dover.
Ft payn comes so many ways its hard to tell you wether your get good rock or not.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 12:06:26 am »
Jesse , thanks for the info on Ft. Payne. I had no idea that dover was a type of Ft. Payne. Zac , I really liked the dover material, gave my points an orginal look if you know what i mean. Bob

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:18:43 am »
I went to the Fredricksburg Knap-in last weekend & met Kinley from west TX. He has some excellent stone.Easy to knap. Makes nice points. I really liked it. He's going to be at Nibblet's this weekend. If ya are going to have some shipped to you I would keep him in mind. He's on here as elremolino
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline WOODSLORE

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 05:55:38 pm »
Thanks guys! ;D
Bob, we will definately be at PIFA .
Last year I was POd when I realized that I didnt bust any rock wit ya.
(too much fun in too little time)
 So this year its goin to take a herd of angry bears to get me away from the "chip pit" ;D ;D.
By the way, a couple of weeks ago a BIG storm blew threw and really tore up our crik.
When I poked around I found a real purty piece of fine grain quartsite that is bone white with rose stripes through it.
I knocked a Coens Krispin point out of it but in the final stages it blew (too much force not enough support ::) ).
Anywho, I still got a hunk of it Im savin for ya!

See ya at PIFA,
Zak
Paleo arts are a long sent gift from our ancestors.

If primitive meant dumb......none of us would have been born!