Author Topic: Community Bows near completion.  (Read 24466 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Community Bows near completion.
« on: June 06, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »
Well, congratulations to all involved, physically and emotionally. The Community Bow Projects are almost done. Only a few more steps and we will have 2 complete archery sets. What are we gonna do with them. ??? We need suggestions. ;)
  Our goal with the Community Bow Projects is to promote Primitive Archer Magazine and to help boost subscription sales. Lets put our heads together and see if we can come up with a good plan. :D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

Re: Community Bows near completion.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 12:53:09 pm »
How about donating the goods to one of the hunting/conservation organizations such as the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation?
Gordon

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 12:56:35 pm »
I second Pat's congrats to all involved, ya all deserve a pat on the back. I want to see a photo spread of
both bows with all the accessories. I think its up to the guys that worked on them to decide what to do with them.
I'd hate to see em go cheap at an auction though. These babies are gonna be priceles!!!
I would love a chance to own either one, heck the string alone on the southern bow is worth several hundred $$$ ;D

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 01:38:47 pm »
Yeah photo spread !!!! ;D ;D ;D

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 02:22:51 pm »
Before you get out your cameras, who do I mail the Northern bow sock to? And the Southern sock will be finished tonight. I'll post pics of them both - have Pat's address, and want to mail them at the same time. Help!

Oh, got a few names and jobs for the two certificates, but need the rest of the rogue's gallery of names and tasks associated with the creation of the bows. If you guys don't think certificates are a good idea, just let me know.

Thanks, Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 02:30:37 pm »
I suggest we send both bows (+ accessories) to Pat.
Gordon

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 02:37:48 pm »
I suggest we send both bows (+ accessories) to Pat.

Oh great, now we'll have to pry a bow out of the clutch of each of Pats cold lifeless hands! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 02:42:06 pm »
Dane,

I did tips and the finish for the Northern Bow. I also made a string for it.

Keenan Howard applied the beautiful skins. He also knapped the arrow points.

Ryan O'Sullivan is wrapping a handle on the bow.

Keith (aka Zane) sanded the bow - but I don't know Keith's last name.

Dano roughed out the bow from a stave.

Matt NewComb tillered the bow.

There are more contributors but I'll let them chime in...

Gordon

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 02:44:12 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 04:23:02 pm »
If ya'll want to send everything to me, that's fine.  ;D I swear I'll take care of them until we decide what we are gonna do with them. ;)  TRUST ME! :o
   I supplied the handle wrap and made the fabulous ::) string. I also supplied the hardwood arrow shoots and hafted the points Cowboy made. Justin put in spined self nocks with horn spines and fletched the arrows.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StanM

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 08:03:13 pm »
I didn't find this site until long after the bows were started, so if this suggestion is not in the spirit of things let me know and I'll delete it.

If the idea is to boost subscriptions, you could maybe give current subscribers a chance to "sell" new subscriptions and whoever gets the most wins one of the bows.  People who subscribe as a result of this contest would have to indicate the name of the person who told them about the magazine and got them to subscribe.

When I was a kid I got a new 12 guage shotgun for doing something similar to this with Hunting&Fishing News magazines.

Just a thought.

Stan

PS If you do go this route I buy all of my PA's at the newsstand and could easily be convinced to subscribe  ;)
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 01:55:08 am »
Stan, We are trying to come up with any suggestions and yours is definitely welcomed. We will have to see what PA's thinks about it. Thanks for your input.
  It is my opinion that anyone that wants to make a suggestion, please do so. I think that the actual contributers to the combined Community Bow Project should ultimately decide what the outcome will be.    Pat

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 11:12:39 am »
What about some sort of web-based raffle?  For example, one ticket (for one bow or the other) for $10, which includes a free introductory issue of PA.  Three or four tickets gets you a 1-year subscription.  Set up a web page that will sell tickets via credit card and paypal and spread the link.  You could advertise it in the other mags and forums to attract new PA subscribers.  Donate the profit to some worthwhile conservation fund.

Just a thought.  Of course, I don't know about the legal and tax implications.

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 09:08:22 am »
I did the antler tip overlays on the Southern bow.

Now, let me start the this by saying that I am not trying to sound condescending and the ideas that have been suggested are great ones, but I think we need to look less at how to move the bows as to where. What we need to figure out is what will get the most good press for the magazine. Larger organizations are good for this sort of thing, Conservation departments, Rocky Mtn Elk, NWTF etc.

What are some of the larger organizations that can help?

What about running the raffel ourselves (as mentioned earlier) but we could advertise it in one of the larger, more circulated hunting magazines. It might have a bit of a cost involved but would get the exposure that we need.

Ok, I said my peice, you all can beat me up now. ::)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 11:37:16 am »
 In addition to all that Gordon listed for the Northern bow it  should be noted that Jamie made the incredible arrows and quiver for this set. I will try to post some pics soon.His art work and skill on these would make anyone drool and reach for there wallet.
  Great work Jamie I'll try to get those pics up soon.   Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 12:47:46 am »
TTT