Author Topic: Community Bows near completion.  (Read 24563 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Community Bows near completion.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 02:11:33 am »
I also think it needs to bring outside attention to PA and more importantly, the great tradition of Primitive Archery.  I think having it go to Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Wild Turkey Federation or something of that nature would bring the most attention. I think someone from the community needs to attend the auction. As for selling cheap, I already told Pat I would put up my own money to set a reserve bid.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 10:59:11 am »
OK everyone. we need suggestions. ??? Not only from the folks physically involved but from anyone interested in making a suggestion. ;)
   The ideas we have so far are good ones. Stan's suggestion of using the Community Bow Project as a prize for the person selling the most subscriptions, and Stickhead and Skeaterbait's suggestions of a raffle are both excellent ideas but I think the time involved would be too much for this particular Community Bow Project.(IMHO)      We could start now by putting an ad in PA Magazine to promote next years CBP and have all year to advertise and hold the raffle or the subscription drive, so I don't want to discount these excellent ideas. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 12:22:33 pm »
I love the idea of a raffle. Who wouldn't want a chance to own one of those beauties.
But I think Pats right on the time issue. And I like his suggestion that next year a raffle PA does a raffle(if willing)
Tickets could be sold for months thru the magazine and also at various events such as Tennese Classic, MOJAM, Comptons etc.
I think the earnings potential of a raffle would be greater than a auction. If I might suggest the dollars could be used as a scholorship to be awarded
thru PA to college bound child of a subscriber. They would write an essay on Primitive Archery and submit it to PA for judging.. Another criteria could also be on what they have done to promote primitive archery. Just a thought, I realize it would be lots of work for the fine folks at PA but the benifits would also most likely be worth it.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 12:51:52 pm »
Dana, Another excellent idea! Obviously, the girls in the office could handle more work ::) and I'm sure they would volunteer their free ??? time also for such a worthwhile project. ::)
   Seriously, I love the idea for a scholarship. I'll try to find out what PA slant on this would be.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2007, 01:24:15 pm »

I think all will agree that the ultimate goal is to promote primitive archery while at the same time gaining support and recognition for PA and all that the magazine has to offer. To realise that goal, we must in my opinion go outside of this forum to reach the largest number of the right kind of people. The interest of new people is what we're after...all of us here already are eatup with the sport/hobby/PA. :)

The amount of $ raised I feel is secondary, although none of us would want the bows/accessories to go for a small amount because we understand and appreciate what works of art each item have turned out to be.

I think the selection of the right highly publicised event to possibly auction off the two community bows with their supporting equipment is the key. Hopefully as a condition of the donation, PA will be able to specify such criteria of proper display and advertisement of these works of art prior to the event. Hopefully they can be displayed to allow viewing by a large audience, and detailing the fact that they were created with the involvement of PA forum enthusiasts from across the country. We're proud of the results and know the community bow projects turned out special, just got to get the masses outside our ranks to realise it as well. ;)

Hopefully whichever organization is chosen will select a good cause for the proceeds generated. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2007, 01:26:23 pm »

I think all will agree that the ultimate goal is to promote primitive archery while at the same time gaining support and recognition for PA and all that the magazine has to offer. To realise that goal, we must in my opinion go outside of this forum to reach the largest number of the right kind of people. The interest of new people is what we're after...all of us here already are eatup with the sport/hobby/PA. :)

The amount of $ raised I feel is secondary, although none of us would want the bows/accessories to go for a small amount because we understand and appreciate what works of art each item have turned out to be.

I think the selection of the right highly publicised event to possibly auction off the two community bows with their supporting equipment is the key. Hopefully as a condition of the donation, PA will be able to specify such criteria of proper display and advertisement of these works of art prior to the event. Hopefully they can be displayed to allow viewing by a large audience, and detailing the fact that they were created with the involvement of PA forum enthusiasts from across the country. We're proud of the results and know the community bow projects turned out special, just got to get the masses outside our ranks to realise it as well. ;)

Hopefully whichever organization is chosen will select a good cause for the proceeds generated. :)

;D ;D ;D That is what Im talking about.  We have two definitely different goals here.  One is raising money, the other is more good exposure for primitive archery.  I think we need a lot more people to speak up and give their oppinion. Then maybe when we can set up a poll to decide. Justin

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2007, 03:42:24 pm »
I dunno. Exposure for PA IMO is the main goal, but at the same time - don't want to give them away so's to speak :-\.

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 12:31:45 pm »
TTT ;D   Hello, anyone else out there with a comment or idea? ???    Pat

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 01:44:07 pm »
I dunno. Exposure for PA IMO is the main goal, but at the same time - don't want to give them away so's to speak :-\.
I agree, it would be a shame to let it go for $100 after all the work that has been put into it.  That is why I planned to send $500 to the auction with someone from the board. If we can get a bidding war going it will generate interest.  ;) Worst case scenario it comes to live with me.  ;D Justin

SW Utah

jamie

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 09:37:39 pm »
personally its a piece of bent wood. its the time and the hands that it has passed through that meens something so a monetary value will always be too cheap. i think the only people who really appreiciate the work are the ones involved in this craft. what if we just gave them to p.a. and allowed them to put all the new subscribers into a hat for a drawing. that would help p.a. by bringing in the subscriptions thye want. that way to it'll be in their hands and we can just move on to the next set. peace

p.s. thanks for the kind words keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 12:24:36 am »
Jamie, We are already in discussion with PA about next years Community Bow Projects with a subscription related "give-a-way". Because of the time it takes to set something like this up I thought it would be a good idea to start now for next years projects. PA has promised a complete set of back issues(except 2 sold out issues) to go to the winner(s) of this CBP.  BUT! we have 2 beautiful bow and arrow sets(et al), possessing a lot of good medicine, that we have to deal with now, or in the near future.  It is my opinion that one of these wildlife organizations would benefit from the usual "high bidders" at their conventions and PA would get a lot of good press. I am open to all suggestions. That is what this thread is about. I've been a bit possessive with CBP but that's because I know it has the potential to bring PA lots of good publicity. ;) ;D ;D ;D 8)     Pat

Offline Dane

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 07:16:49 am »
My understanding is the last community bow went for not much money? And is the money that important? I'd think the publicity is worth far more, as well as the messages and symbolism such bows bring.

Here are some stream of thought ideas, so if some seem odd or strange or dumb, forgive me.

Has anyone considered donating the bows to some sort of charity? I'm thinking of Make a Wish Foundation, not appropriate for these full sized hunting weight weapons, but something along those lines? Maybe even not just in this country, but abroad as well?

Also, what about focusing not only on hunters, but some other audience? I myself have never hunted in my life, but love archery, as well as other shooting sports.

What about museums dedicated to arts and crafts, and modern art? These sets are truly works of art, after all. MOMA in New York, Smithsonian in DC are two I can think of right now. Most cities have modern art museums.

Traveling road shows? To get exposure to the magazine and the weapons?

Art galleries?

Contact newspapers and magazines to get some articles written up about these projects? Someone do a full length article and get it circulating in various community newspapers and such. Press releases, as well.

3D associations and circuits. Lots of that in this area, though most shoot the Borg bows, it might convert some to primitive / traditional archery.

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline DanaM

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 12:59:06 pm »
Here in Michigan the high schools are reviving archery as a sport. So that could be another avenue.
Another idea would be next CBP perhaps Matius and AndrewS could spearhead a European bow project, Marc and and the other
Canucks could do a one. The war bow guys from across the big pond etc. Their is lots of potential here. Personally I don't see PA getting that much exposure
from Whitetail or Turkey federation. From what I've seen of these organizations I see mostly trophy hunters and high tech gadget laden hunting snobs.
Sorry if I offended anyone with that comment. I really believe the place to get em is schools when thier young. Perhaps Nugget could offer a perspective as he teaches bow building at a school.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 01:00:08 pm »
I meant StanM not Nugget

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 01:19:50 pm »
No offence taken,But I have to agree all except maybe the snob part that them organizations
probably wouldn't appreshate it as much as some others.I differently agree get um young
and you will have most for life just don't know the best place to start.No matter what we do I hate to see them auctioned off and not bring much even tho the money is not the issue I would rather give them away than have the stolen at a auction.That dose no one any good.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good