Author Topic: Red Oak long bow for my son...................  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Jtilley

• WV country boy missing the hills.............
Red Oak long bow for my son...................
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:52:22 am »
This is a red oak long bow I made for my 11 year old son. I made it from from a piece of red oak trim lattice . It measures 1 1/4" wide x 5/16" thick 62" nock to nock, I tapered it to 1/2" starting 16" in from the tips, pulls 20 couple pounds ( I don't have a bow scale, but it pulls a tad harder than his 20lb fiberglass bow, and is a heck of alot faster)  :) I wrapped the grip with leather from a "recycled" recliner.  Take a look and let me know what you think......... :)
Some is Good , More is Better, Too much is Just Right....
John

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Red Oak long bow for my son...................
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:58:49 am »
Pretty cool man! Nice simple design, and I bet he loves it. It's great to see the kids shootin sticks instead of pullin wheelies! :)
Rockford, MI

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 01:08:10 am »
cool. I did almost the same thing for my 4yr old. ripped a 1/4 thick strip of hickory, tapered to the tips and added artificial sinew knocks and string. good job, I know he will brag about that to his friends.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Jtilley

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 01:20:43 am »
Thanks for the nice words guys :)
Scott: I'm working on it ................ but archery is not new around here, lots of bows, just not too many I've made :)
I do have two more in the works a smaller copy of the long bow for my 9 yr old, and a recurve version for my 13 yr old. I will post pics as I get them done..... :)
John

Offline DEllis

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 02:05:43 am »
Looks pretty nice, and the lad looks like he means buisiness with it. :)
Might try getting the next one to bend a bit more mid limb and a bit less in the handle area, makes for a more comfortable shooter.
If you just leave the thickness alone, taper in straight lines from the handle to the tips.......make the tips around 3/8" wide, you don't need any wider, and it'll be finished tillering before you even start. Have fun. :)
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:07:50 pm »
Excellent all around sir, Any time spent on a kid (yours or others) is time well spent.

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 11:16:20 pm »
he will enjoy that and have fun shooting with him,  i just made one for my daughter and handed one down to my son, i am now making a new one for my wife.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline Jtilley

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 11:34:08 pm »
He absolutely LOVES it, and his brothers are "im"patiently waiting for there's.
Darcy: I am going to make the one for the 9 yr old 54" tip to tip since he's a little shorter. I will try what you said on his bow...... Thanks for the input. :)
John

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 01:50:27 am »
Get your kids involved in building the bows. Sounds like thay are old enough. Before you know it they will be making bows for you!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC