Author Topic: Suggestions please ;)  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Tom

Suggestions please ;)
« on: April 23, 2011, 08:45:08 pm »
Hi all, new to the board but been lurking and pinching tips for a while already  ;)

I've just about finished my current project and have started looking at my next stave. Its a monster that started as a full round and so far all I've done is square off the profile. Its 8ft of Hazel running 1 3/4" wide now she's square. Got a bit of a curve to her but nothing too major.

Trouble is, cant decide what to do with it. Keep it long and go for a higher weight or go sensible...

What would you try to get out of her?

Offline sweeney3

Re: Suggestions please ;)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:55:23 pm »
English Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong bow?   ;D ;D

Just kidding.  I would think you could get a nice D style out of that though.

Offline DEllis

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 04:58:23 pm »
If It was mine, I'd cut it to 68" or so and try to get about 70# @ 26", after I steamed the handle straight. Just curious why you didn't use it the other way around so you had natural reflex? Was there a branch in the way or?
There is a nice bow in there for sure, if you wanted to get silly you could make a war bow......might be fun to get silly, I try to do so on a regular basis ;D
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 05:17:35 pm »
I'd make it about 64" ntn, leave limbs full width ( 1 3/4"), heat treat the belly, and reflex the outer limbs to make an RD profile.  Stiff handle and keep the belly flat or a mild radius. You should be able to get a decent hunting weight bow out of that stave.
Gordon

Offline Tom

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 06:53:39 pm »
Thought about trying to use the reflex but when I gave her some flex before squaring, it didn't feel right, if you know what I mean  ??? 

Think I'll see how a 70" cut would sit on her and go from there... Tempting to go longer and heavier but realistically I wouldn't be able to use it.  :(

Thanks for the suggestions  ;)

HatchA

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 07:51:26 pm »
Thought about trying to use the reflex but when I gave her some flex before squaring, it didn't feel right, if you know what I mean  ??? 

Think I'll see how a 70" cut would sit on her and go from there...

Trouble with cutting such a long stave down to 70" is choosing which end to cut it off... ;D

I'd chop off any ungainly twist or lateral bend, leaving as much straightness as possible

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 12:04:38 am »
What would I do with it?
Would take a while but there's firewood in there somewhere ;D

Lane

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 12:57:30 am »
The back of the bow is very humpy-bumpy.  Unless you're working with Osage, it could be quite the challenge and I fear that it wouldn't hold up.  Also, let's face it; it is deflexed quite a bit.  Most white woods even if starting out very straight or even with some reflex will end up with an unacceptable amount of string follow when completed.  However, I know what it is like to have a piece of wood calling to you.  How about this...

Instead of chasing a growth ring to establish the back how about squaring or flattening the back as best as you can and glueing a hickory or bamboo backing to the stave.  Prior to gluing the backing of choice, push the bow "board" into a reflexed position.  Then apply the backing while the board is in the reflexed position.  You can build a clamping jig to accomplish this.  When the glue dries, it will maintain its reflexed state.  Continue with the tillering process to make your bow.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Tom

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 07:11:41 am »
This is the trouble, so many good options  ;D

A laminate might be fun and would be a first for me but is highly likely to result in firewood...
To make her to length Ill take a little off each end as neither is perfect.
More thinking to be done..... thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 02:42:44 pm »
IMO Hazel is best made wide and flat. Have a look at the Hazel bows on my website (click on the globe sybol under my username)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DEllis

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 03:53:24 pm »
So far with all the comments and suggestions(including mine), I like Gordon's idea the best ;D. 1.75" wide is lots of wood especially if you heat treat the belly. You have lots of length to work with. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!