Author Topic: first self arrows...sourwood  (Read 6145 times)

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
first self arrows...sourwood
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:11:48 pm »
Hey arrow making is fun again!!! I used to make alot of cedar arrows and sell them on ebay and it got to be alot of work. It kinda took the fun out of things...Since I have doing primitive archery it seemed to restore the fun... and I plan to keep it that way. These are my first self arrows and are made of sourwood. I would like to thank hickory Bill for the shafts and the lesson in self nocks. The feathers are snow goose and the cock feather in turkey. I used artificial sinew on the wrap and coated the wraps with clear nail polish. I think the artificial sinew was little thick...and might try something different on the other six. Any suggestions???

They shot great... at ten yards. Still gotta see what they'll do at 20

Jon

Offline ErictheViking

Re: first self arrows...sourwood
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 11:02:57 pm »
Dead Turkey!  :D  those look great, glad it was fun for you again.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:07:32 pm »
Great looking arrows.  I agree with the primitive ones being much more fun to make.  You did a great job on those.  If you can get a piece or two of backstrap sinew, it works great for tying on feathers.  It's very easy to process, and you get plenty of long fibres for tying. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:19:06 pm »
Arti-sinew can be split just like the real stuff.  Try wrapping it down tightly, then using your thumbnail, scrape it down as smooth as you can get and then run some superglue over it.  Superglue kinda eats thru the wax and locks it down pretty good.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 02:06:31 am »
Those are fine looking arrows.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Scowler

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 10:08:24 am »
Good looking arrows.  Are the dark marks on the shafts due to burning?

HatchA

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:51:59 am »
Arti-sinew can be split just like the real stuff.  Try wrapping it down tightly, then using your thumbnail, scrape it down as smooth as you can get and then run some superglue over it.  Superglue kinda eats thru the wax and locks it down pretty good.

Thanks for that - was thinking the roll I have was too thick for wrapping trade points and fletches with.

Offline straightarrow

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:24:39 pm »
The artificial sinew I used was the 70# strength. There was five strands in a bundle. I separated them and used a single strand. It worked but I still thought in was a tad thick, but I didn't do it quite like JW did. I might have to give that a try. They way I did ... It wanted to bend the quill on the the feather. I am making some now and I am using braided fishing line. It has a high breaking strength and a small diameter. The stuff was on my fishing reel forever...so I guess i found a second use for it. I will post some pic when i get them done....they are turning out alot nicer.

Scowler.... The dark spots are from heat straightening. This is done before the shafts are planed down to size. Some are alot darker then others because I had to take off less with the finger planer.

Jon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 04:06:35 pm »
Never said I liked the stuff, I tolerate it at best.  I've had better luck with atrificial sinew than I have with sewing thread.  the faux sinew ends up smoother for me, thread wraps area always abrasive.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline straightarrow

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 05:39:53 pm »
Never said I liked the stuff, I tolerate it at best.  I've had better luck with atrificial sinew than I have with sewing thread.  the faux sinew ends up smoother for me, thread wraps area always abrasive.

This type of arrow making is new to me. What is faux...Is that the artificial. Sounds like the stuff  you used is smaller in diameter. I seen where sell two types One for string making and another for crafts..arrows etc.

Jon

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 06:29:26 pm »
Wow. Jon your arrows turned out great!!!!  I'm glad they shoot good too!!!
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 08:50:27 pm »
That's some nice work right there! Good shooting too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!