Author Topic: North Carolina Knap-in  (Read 4686 times)

Offline toms22

North Carolina Knap-in
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:21:28 pm »
Are we going to have another North Carolina Knap-in this year. I no that it is early to be thinking about the date. Just wondering and hopeing. Tom

Offline arappaho

Re: North Carolina Knap-in
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:20:43 am »
Morning Guys, and thanks for asking Toms.
I haven't spoken to Jim recently, so don't know if his plans have changed at all.

I gotta tell you the simple truth, guys. Jim and I were so shocked and disturbed after
the property owners death shortly after last years get together, it just kind of took
the wind out of our sails. We talked about the knap-in a couple months ago and
neither of us had the good energy needed to try and organize one for this year.
If any of you would like to run with it, there would be no objections from me.

As a very simple and low key back up suggestion, there is a man who holds an annual
Rock Swap the first Saturday of October just south of Pittsboro, and he has offered
to let us combine our event with his. There's room for camping and the porta johns
are all ready there. His is a one day event, but there's no problem with us hanging out
for the weekend. I plan to attend but have not confirmed anything with him about
having a knap-in, too.
I realize that it's bow season by then in certain counties, so alot of you will be busy.
If anyone would like to come to this get together, I will be more than happy to provide
all the information after confirming things with him.

Something to think about,
Joe

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:26:33 am »
Joe, I for one would like to see the N.C. Knap in continue in some form. It's just nice to be able to put names with faces and I learned a lot at last years. Seemed to be a good crowd last year also.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:08:11 pm »
I think that we need to have a NC Knappin to provide a place to get to know each other and pormote the tradition of flint knapping. It would be a shame not to have one or maybe we call all just meet somewhere in central NC and have a knapping campout.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline piper

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 04:13:21 pm »
     FYI......I was hoping to have a fall knapp-in and a place to shoot your bows also...My first one was this spring it was kinda a trial run for the fall and it went very well..13 knapper and Bob and my self BUT I live in the western foot hills (Rutherfordton)not really central N.C. but I have lots of room to camp (no motels close) and was thinking of having a primitive deer hunt to spice thing up a little...maybe have two hunts Fri. night two Sat. morning and two Sat. night.... No dates yet but some time in bow season ....Hope to start having one every year...Hope to see yall then..............Curt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:24:03 pm by piper »
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 04:56:47 pm »
Just curious, where would the most eastern person be coming from for a knap-in. Most everyone I am familiar with are more central to western in NC.

Just for an idea, the Uwharries off of 109 allow camping and I believe they have outdoor port-a-jons. It's close to the Morrow Mtn area also. So a little history there.

Another option I have considered is asking the folks at Fort Dobbs Rev war site in Statesville for a weekend permit to have a knap-in there. May need to donate a little sump'n to them.

Just some ideas....biggest problem may be trying to add a archery course of some sort if wanted.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 07:34:40 pm »
I may be the one who lives the farthest east. I live in New Bern, N.C. which is 45 min. from the coast. This is no problem to me as I love visiting the mountains. My only constraints are getting time off.

Offline arappaho

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:03:06 pm »
Sounds to me like Piper is the man with the plan!
Sounds great Curt, and I hope I can make it. :)

I will still be going to the Rock Swap south of Pittsboro in October if anyone
in this area wants to drop by, hang out, and do some knapping.
I will confirm the date and post an address and any other info in the next
week or two.
Sorry the "Central" Carolina thing couldn't get going. Really want to thank
all of you that made it in the past. We tried.

My Best to the BEST "primitive" group of guys on the net!
Joe

Offline piper

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 12:20:34 am »
Joe it would be nice if you and Jim could make it...............................Curt

Western North Carolina

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 12:46:55 am »
Piper, sounds like a plan to me. I get to sleep behind the shed. Might be some rock stashed there that needs someone to watch over it.... >:D

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline warhawk

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 01:44:33 am »
I am in on the hunting and knapping idea from piper and NClonghunter idea is great too. Arrapaho get the date on that rock thingy and ill see if i can meet you there. I was think of have a knapiing at my house in fayetteville simetime this summer if possible.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

JustinNC

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:45:06 am »
Lyman you take the back shed, I'll take the front.....after seeing your Fort Dobbs pic...looks like you might be better trained and armed to guard the large stock pile back of the shed...I'll handle the crumbs in the main shed ;D

Offline piper

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 11:35:26 am »
yall are killing me...LOL................................Curt

Western North Carolina

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 02:20:40 pm »
im interested..
Gotta get back into knappin again after a HY-aitus...
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline piper

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 06:37:54 pm »
it will be good to have you with us and it looks like we have some interest in a fall get to gather........................thats good.....................Curt

Western North Carolina