Author Topic: Another Plains Indian Composite finished pic Heavy.  (Read 8345 times)

Offline IndianGuy

Another Plains Indian Composite finished pic Heavy.
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:44:35 pm »
This bow is 48" long and draws appx 45-50 pounds at 23" maximum draw. The bow was made from a naturally cured piece of osage orange wood and was taken down to one growth ring before sinewbacking, and applying the horn belly. The belly of the bow is comprised of 5 sections of Buffalo horn, the sinew backing covers the back of the bow and the sides as well as the edge of the horn belly. Each joint is reinforced with real sinew wrappings as well. The sinew backing is ochred with a rusty red earth pigment I collect locally and the sinew wrappings are ochred with a classic looking green. This bow has the end of a buffalos tail as a decoration hanging from the bottom tip. The last bone in the tail was left in place, the tail was covered with brain tanned buckskin and beaded with 1840's pony beads in chalk white, greasy yellow and cranberry red. the leather handle on the bow is also smoked brain tanned buckskin.

I heated this bow into a gull wing or 5 curve shape giving it a classic look.

The bows sinew backing  also goes over the tips onto the belly where sinew wrappings have been applied.  The bow has a double string grooves at the bottom end and a single at the top.  The bow is being drawn 23" in the pictures.

The arrows are seasoned red osier dogwood and have been ochred red with the same pigment used on the bows sinew backing, the upper end of the arrows are also ochred green to match the sinew bands on the bow as well as the sinew wrappings on the arrows.. Each arrow has three sets of shaft grooves running from the base of the fletchings to the points. Two wavy grooves and one straight.  Each arrow is fletched with turkey  feathers and the fletchings are a little over 6" long. The feathers are glued down and sinew wrapped with real sinew. The arrows also feature flared nocks.

The arrow points I made from antique hand saw blades and each one has double notches cut into the base of the point so after they were inserted into the arrow shafts the sinew wrappings help secure them into place. Each arrrow is 23.5" long based on the Sioux standard arrow length, Thats not counting the points. Each point has been sharpned by hand.
Enjoy the pics.
Eric

Offline IndianGuy

Re: Another Plains Indian Composite finished pic Heavy.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:45:54 pm »
This bow is very similar to the one that won me bow of the month in march.  8)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:52:14 pm »
I voted for you Indianguy. I love this as well. Nice work
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SA

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 09:05:28 pm »
nice bow, you got alot workin out of those short limbs. do you sinew back all of your shortys? i have some piece's of osage that are around 55" but i dont want to sinew, could i get 50# @ 26 "  without backing ? sorry for all the ?'s
Shawn Acker

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:10:44 pm »
sa..any bow that bends through the handle should pull 1/2 it's length if tillered properly. If the handle is non bending add 10%.
People argue the 1/2 it's length saying.... but I and many other bow makers do it all the time.

Offline DEllis

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:18:08 pm »
Another cool, short bow. Nice work.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:22:24 pm »
Very nie work. I like it! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 01:23:20 am »
I like this bow, but I will say I liked your last one better. It seems like the inner limbs are doing almost the work on this one, where as the last one had a more even, graceful tiller.  But that might have been your intent.  Also I can imagine its a pain to tiller a bow with five pieces of horn glued to the belly.  Thanks for posting your bows!

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 01:47:41 am »
The handle in this bow is stiff, so the limbs are doing all the work, but with the handle being stiff it is smooth with less hand shock. Tiller is always interesting on multiple jointed horn belly sinew backed bows. LOL  ;D

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 02:03:00 am »
 ;D Kool Bro. love it, Glad those horns came in handy.  >:D

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 04:46:15 am »
You really make cool stuff Eric.
Frank from Germany...

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 07:00:15 am »
Great job...indian guy. I like the bow and the arrows. Fantastic work

Jon

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 12:34:51 pm »
Another amazing example of your craftsmanship...
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us Sir.

HatchA

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 01:06:50 pm »
Another stunning piece of work!

I really love your arrows too ;-)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 07:30:46 pm »
Beautiful work Eric!  Looking forward to seeing this one in the May BOM contest too!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln