Author Topic: Plum Branch  (Read 14950 times)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Plum Branch
« on: May 08, 2011, 01:36:55 am »
This plum tree at my mother-in-laws is 'the giving tree.'  It has yielded 5 staves so far, just with normal pruning  :)

Here's one I made from a narrow diameter (maybe 1.5") branch.  I left the bark on and used it on the handle.  The arrow pass is in-layed  honey locust that I cut thin with the chop saw.  Bow is about 40# @ 29 inches.  I used dry heat to put some reflex into the tips however a horizontal tear started to form in the lower limb during the bending process so I stopped before reaching the an equal reflex with the top limb.  This made tillering a bit tricky, and also gives me some concern about the bows longevity.  I super glued it and wrapped it with B50.  We'll see.  In the meantime she shoot very nice, hard and flat with 450 grain arrows at 20 yards.  Hope you like it.

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: Plum Branch
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 01:38:36 am »
I'm not happy with the finish, its an amber shellac, and I rushed it.  I also don't like the color.  Should have gone with clear.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 01:55:00 am »
I like the bow. That tree behind you is something else. Any idea how old a tree is to get that big?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 01:59:36 am »
Gabe, she's a beauty! I like everything about her.  8)  Have you left the bark on as backing before?  I love the idea but have had bad results. I have added cherry bark backings with good results but not leaving the natural bark on the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 02:03:19 am »
Thanks guys.

Lombard, I like to joke and say that tree is a baby, although its true.  She's a second growth redwood maybe only 80 years old.  They get a whole lot bigger when they're 2000 years old  :)

Pat - this is the first time I've left the entire bark on.  Tim Baker has done it several times with plum branches and so I thought what the heck. We'll see how it holds up, although after the dry heat and getting banged around it still seems perfectly bonded to the stave.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 02:34:43 am »
that is probably one of the coolest bows I have seen in awhile. the bark left on is just awesome. love the bark left on on the belly handle area. reminds me of the purple plum bow by Baker on the cover of tbbIV. excellent job Ross. Oh ya full daw is a beaut.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 03:12:50 am »
Really nice.
I like it a lot.

Especially the handle section.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 04:30:18 am »
 :o WOW I love this bow allot! The grip is awsome and probably one of my favorites I have seen but all together I love it! Great  job!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline dbb

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 06:50:49 am »
Thats a beauty! I love it.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 08:15:31 am »
That bow is a beauty...great work. I hope she holds out for ya. ... oh yeah...I think the finish looks very nice

Jon

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 08:29:26 am »
That is a FINE looking bow.  The plum bow on the cover of TBB4 always interested me.  You did an awesome job on that one,  I love it with the bark on, I can't say enough about it.  Great job.
Traverse City, MI

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 10:06:39 am »
Very cool bow!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 10:36:44 am »
Dang nice.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 10:45:27 am »
Not much to say that hasn been already. I love the amber sealer, love the bark on the back and especially love the story of the tree it came from! Very nive work.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 10:56:35 am »
I agree, the superlatives are already pretty much used up.  Man, it's only the 8th and the beautiful self bows for this month are already rolling in.  Going to be another hard BOM vote. ;D  Great bow!

George
St Paul, TX