Author Topic: Son's first longbow (for BBOM)  (Read 3506 times)

Offline wildwills

Son's first longbow (for BBOM)
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:41:33 am »
Thought I'd share some pics of my son's new found obsession, building bows.  Back in April I took him to a Bamboo backed Longbow workshop with Tom Turgeon of Boise Bows and Arrows through the Columbus, OH Woodcraft store.  He had an absolute blast and Tom is a first rate teacher.

Bow was made from a straight bamboo backed yellow-heart stave provided by Tom Turgeon of Boise Bows and Arrows.  Bow is 66 inches tip to tip (64 inches nock to nock).  Tillered for a bend-in-the-handle longbow.  Draw weight of 35 lbs at 28 inches (28 lbs at son's 22 inch draw).  Left the bamboo nodes on.  Used water-based green, black, and white-wash stain.  Then sealed with spray lacquer.  Arrow rest was borrowed from How to Sections and made from a filed-down golf tee, glued to serving material around the handle.  Handle wrap made from some old deer hide scraps we had from when I was his age.  Handle wrap laced up with an old shoe string from some worn out sneakers.

Son named his longbow "Sasha Bear" after the nickname we had for our border collie that had to put down in March.

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:29:08 pm by wildwills »
Mike Wills
Bugs Bunny: Why, Crusher! It's good to see you.
The Crusher: Yeah, well, I was just passing by... Dyuh... just passing by...

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Son's first longbow (not for BOM)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 11:52:19 am »
That's awesome!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:18:41 pm »
I always like to see the young ones making it happen.  Congratulations!
1’—>1’

Offline jpitts

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:23:07 pm »
Thats fantastic. Congratulations.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

HatchA

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:36:23 pm »
That's cool!  Looks like a nice bow too :)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 12:45:19 pm »
Sweet Bow...Looks like he really enjoys making Bows...and it's nice to see the Young Ones picking up on this! One Question...why not BOM...the way I look at the BOM... I vote for new and the most improved Bowyers ...before I will vote for a Bowyer that has won or is winning all the Time...thats why I don't enter a Bow any more...may if I make what I consider an Exceptional Bow though....JMHO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »
W2,
      Great young fella there, Great bow, great young man, and tell him that tiller is killer..........
rich

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 01:10:37 pm »
Too cool!
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline wildwills

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:14:25 pm »
Sweet Bow...Looks like he really enjoys making Bows...and it's nice to see the Young Ones picking up on this! One Question...why not BOM...the way I look at the BOM... I vote for new and the most improved Bowyers ...before I will vote for a Bowyer that has won or is winning all the Time...thats why I don't enter a Bow any more...may if I make what I consider an Exceptional Bow though....JMHO

I just might put him in then...thanks for the all the cool comments guys.  He would be excited if his bow was in for BOM.
Mike Wills
Bugs Bunny: Why, Crusher! It's good to see you.
The Crusher: Yeah, well, I was just passing by... Dyuh... just passing by...

Offline medicinewheel

Re: Son's first longbow (for BBOM)
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 07:37:40 pm »
Cool!
Frank from Germany...

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 07:59:51 pm »
thats one cool bow tiller looks great now he going to get you to take to the wood store looking for more wood can't never have enough wood and scrappers glue sand paper.
bryan irwin

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 08:40:27 am »
Very nice, Its great to see young kids learning how to use tools and create.  Tell your son job well done.
Traverse City, MI