Author Topic: 03 sequoia parasitic draw  (Read 4888 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
03 sequoia parasitic draw
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:38:32 pm »
Well the title is self explanatory I have a parasitic draw and can not find it I thought it was a diod out in the altanater causing it to drain but no I changed it and it's still happening all my lights seem to be good if any of y'all have some useful info please let me know id like to fix this myself and not take it to the dealership money is tight right now ttyl
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline cracker

Re: 03 sequoia parasitic draw
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 01:01:43 pm »
Sterling you can buy an ampmeter that hangs on the wire as apposed to being wired in you can use this to trace down you're gremlin.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 01:04:36 pm »
Thanx ron I have one just can't try it till I get off work

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 01:39:46 pm »
best way to do it is
amp meter on 10 amp scale,disconnect battery positive cable
hook red lead from meter to pos cable,black lead from meter to positiver terminal
dont let cable touch terminal while doing this
let vehicle sit for 1.5 hours for modules to go to sleep.open all doors and shut the latches manually(so vehicle thinks they are closed  ;) )
acceptible draw is .050 volts or less
if higher then start pulling fuses one at a time until draw is gone,that will isolate the circuit provong power to a component that is drawing amps
then look thru wiring diagram to see what all runs off of that fuse,then reinstall fuse and start unpkugging those components uditl draw is gon again
hope this helps,good luck
oh ya, disconnect any and all after market items first before checking draw( i.e. radio,phone chargers etc.)
if no draw is present right away it may be one  of the aftermarket itiems that were disconnected
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:16:09 pm »
Thanx tim there are no after market items installed it's all stock now for meter I have a digital one that should do rite

HatchA

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 02:17:46 pm »
Electrical history, Tim?  Very systematic approach.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 05:38:12 pm »
sterling, yup your electric one shouls work just fine
but like i said set it to the 10 amp scale and hook up like i stated
if you see more than .050 amp draw(normal system draw) after 1.5 hours of sitting then there is a draw  ;)

hatcha,no elec history.i am a seasoned master auto tech and i do alot,i mean alot of this type of work  ;)

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 01:53:34 pm »
After reading sailordad's explaintion of process,this is reason I gotta phone a pro.This kinda happened with my dauther's 05 Malibu.
All I did was open the hood looked closed hood and called someone.Give my my 69 biscayne back. ;)
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 11:51:10 pm »
I just wrote this tidbit of info down, Thanks Tim. It's nice to have a Pro on the Board.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 12:05:15 am »
yup, do wha sailordad said.  he beat me to it.  is the battey old?  have you had it load tested?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 11:05:28 am »
Well problem solved your going to laugh all the problem was was my battery lol I tested it my self
And it hade one cell that stopped taking a charge lol thanks again for the help :)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 07:48:39 pm »
Well problem solved your going to laugh all the problem was was my battery lol I tested it my self
And it hade one cell that stopped taking a charge lol thanks again for the help :)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, didnt ask you about that on the phone the other day  ???  ;)

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 11:34:33 pm »
thats the first thing i check when people have a "draw" problem.  usually when someone leaves a car on, they jump it, and think its enough to charge it back up.  if your new battery ever goes dead again, have it charged up, then put back in.  while the alt will charge the battery, it cant do a good job like a charger can.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 12:04:52 am »
thats the first thing i check when people have a "draw" problem.  usually when someone leaves a car on, they jump it, and think its enough to charge it back up.  if your new battery ever goes dead again, have it charged up, then put back in.  while the alt will charge the battery, it cant do a good job like a charger can.

i have to disagree with that statement
if it was true then all vehicle batteries would go dead just from driving a vehicle if the alterantor couldnt charge as well as a charger
but,if a vehicle is jump started because the battery is dead and only driven for sort time/distance
then yes the alternator is unable to sufficiently charge the battery back up to full capacitiy
but if i a vehicle is driven for an extended time with all accesories off then yes the alternator will charge the battery back up to capacity

modern vehciles the charging system is controlled by the PCM (powertrain control module)
and most times the PCM will not allow a charge below 1500 rpms,except after initial startup
and you also never(and i mean never,like in the old days) take and disconnect the battery when the engine is running to see if the alternator is putting out current
this will cause damage to computers etc

Offline aero86

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 12:24:59 am »
thats what i meant sailordad.  it was just a broad statement.  the alt will charge the battery if driven long enough.  but, i deal with an older population at the shop i work at, so their trips are generally a mile or two.  sometimes its not enough.