Author Topic: Kids Bow - Hickory/Teak  (Read 7847 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Kids Bow - Hickory/Teak
« on: May 16, 2011, 05:41:34 pm »
Well, here are a few pics of a kid's bow I made for my youngest (8 yr) son, Grayson.  It is a Hickory / Teak composite that I shaped off a caul pattern I received from Semo.  The bow is 40" ntn, 15# @ 20".  Unfortunately the Teak didn't make for a good bow wood or at least in this combo as it fretted on the belly while shooting it in.  I think it will hold and more importantly he loves it.

This is the shape off the Caul an not set in the bow  ;D

Here are the frets on the belly...  :-\

Thanks for looking and for all the help over the past couple months...many more to come!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Kids Bow - Hickory/Teak
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 08:00:10 pm »
Nice job I bet the kid loves that!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:40:18 pm »
If he loves it, I say cool. It looks like the bow was too short to get the full reflex the caul had to offer, oh well! I like the finish job Lee.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:02:17 pm »
If he loves it, I say cool. It looks like the bow was too short to get the full reflex the caul had to offer, oh well! I like the finish job Lee.

Thanks Guys...PD, it was too short for the caul (I think a minimum length off it should be 64") but I couldn't talk him out of a bow off there so he got his wish.  His older brother chose a more traditional LB style and I just glued him up a Hickory/Osage lam build last night.  Hopefully I can come through with the design and tiller work and have his come out better.

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:23:16 pm »
Lee thats a beautiful draw on that one , looks like he will enjoy that one

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:32:52 pm »
Lee thats a beautiful draw on that one , looks like he will enjoy that one

Thanks Ken, I think the Hickory back might have overpowered the Teak belly and caused the fretting.  Will get better on the next one.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Gaur

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:45:08 pm »
Yeah I've tried teak and it doesn't handle compression very well.  Sorry it didn't work out.  Have to do another one quickly to keep him happy!
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 11:51:42 pm »
Yeah I've tried teak and it doesn't handle compression very well.  Sorry it didn't work out.  Have to do another one quickly to keep him happy!

Thanks Guar, I had my suppositions on the Teak before I began but being a tight wad dutchman I figured I'd give it a try...now I know  ;D

He may have to wait a couple weeks for a replacement...this is what he REALLY wants but~

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:00:25 am by Lee Slikkers »
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 12:06:54 am »
Nice job lee....kids bows ARE fun to make....and shoot. I got a kick out of shooting in the one I made for my son.

Heck...what am I saying... ALL bows r fun to make.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 12:40:04 am »
That could take you a little more than a week to make
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 10:45:40 am »
Guar, I told him any type of Horn/Sinew bow was likely years away...if not longer.  That type of bow takes an entirely different level of skill and experience as a Bowyer.  I hope to one day be able to attempt such a build but there are many, many bows and many wood species for me to work through before that day comes.  Thanks again.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

HatchA

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 04:40:28 pm »
Lee, ya shouldn't'a let him near that book!!  Way too many pretties in it for a grown-up's mind to handle, let alone a child's!!  ;D

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 04:44:22 pm »
Lee, ya shouldn't'a let him near that book!!  Way too many pretties in it for a grown-up's mind to handle, let alone a child's!!  ;D

SOOOO happy to hear that Hatch  ;D as I just ordered it this morning.  I had no idea this bow thing would become so addictive but I'm not complaining!

Thanks~
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 07:39:38 pm »
That is so nice. Your son is enjoying the bow. The tiller is excellent so going longer may have been the ticket. Perhaps the brace height is set a bit too high? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »
Thanks George, I'm sure we could have gone longer...he just wanted a shortie for running through the woods.  The actual brace height is less than in the pic, that pic was taken right after stringing and the string I used has a bunch of stretch.  I know, I know...I need to buy some D50 and learn how to make bow strings.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold