Author Topic: hmmaerstone pieces  (Read 2674 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
hmmaerstone pieces
« on: May 22, 2011, 04:01:45 pm »
takes me a while to get used to working with just hammerstones when i try to do a blade completely with stone. screwed up two pieces before i got these. one is cowboy rock , the other rootbeer.

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline sailordad

Re: hmmaerstone pieces
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:42:49 pm »
Jamie, incredible work
its reasons like this that i included you in my list of knappers that inspire me
how many other guys are doing this with just hamerstones and gettign results like that
not many i would imagine
some time this summer i need to find some decnet hammer stones and give it a whack  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 04:49:31 pm »
Sweet Work Jamie....You do better with a Hammer Stone alone...than I can do with Stone and Copper...and Antler....  ;D...it must have something to do with your Knapping Pit...sure reminds Me of my Ford Pickup Truck Cab...not too many Knappers have Leather Seats in their pits....... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jamie

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 06:56:10 pm »
tim ive been talking to marty rueter and jim winn a lot these days and they have definetly been getting me to push myself with certain techniques. i also know a guy here in ct who is one of the best hammerstone knappers i know. he is the guy who said look harder. i always seem to adapt their techniques and then add some thing different to it that suits my style better. hammerstones are definetly tricky. its very easy to round an edge. then you have to go back and stitch into the round and lose more material. that and it seems the hammerstone has to be swung harder than a billet in order to deliver the same energy as a billet. very easy to screw up an edge. truly appreciate the kind words.

mike its vinyl and its got some serious holes punched into it from sharp flakes. i find flakes evry where. turn on the fan and crap comes flying out the vents. try to put my seatbelt on and it wont lock cause its full of chips.  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 07:01:20 pm »
That is awesome! Just goes to show that you don't need much to get into knapping, but it does take crazy skills like yours to make art.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 07:06:01 pm »
That's "pure" knapping...I'm "contaminated" ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline jamie

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 07:13:43 pm »
thanks again guys , it just takes time to adjust. shannon you have no idea how many times ive wanted to grab a bopper and just knock a piece out.

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 07:53:33 pm »
Wow brother I need to get up there and start knapping with you again!!! Great use of the hammerstone! 

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:05:32 am »
Those look Damn good Jamie! Especially with the abo techniques your using, sheeshe.. Man, I wish you could get down here with me and go hunt some rocks..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 08:47:24 am »
Very nice work jamie,sweet.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Tower

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 10:20:32 am »
Hey the floor of your truck looks like mine. Great job, I stopped using hammerstones & antler a few years & tears ago. Been trying to pick it back up lately, but guess my muscle memory gone. Ya make me want to keep trying. Next time I go to Red Lobster I'm going to get a few hammerstones. ;D
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

JustinNC

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 11:52:04 am »
NICE....amazing what two rocks banging together can make

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 11:57:55 am »
Awesome! 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline maddog314

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 04:17:39 pm »
I keep trying to use only hammer stones (mostly because my dog ate my antler bilit) And I am getting better, but I think I need to start cooking my rock! Good looking stuf!! ;D

Offline jamie

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 04:56:13 pm »
trust me guys hammerstones are wicked frustrating. once i make a mistake, its very tough for me to fix. i want nothing more than to grab a billet and fix the problem , but im trying to beat these damn stones so it becomes second nature.  ;D

waterbury, ct