Author Topic: Little short bow  (Read 6075 times)

Offline Kegan

Little short bow
« on: May 22, 2011, 08:54:28 pm »
I've been working on some new hickory bows from a tree cut a month or so ago. This is the first one done. It wound up much lighter than I was looking for, so I piked it, and in an effort to keep set low, wound up coming in lighter anyway. Oh well, hopefully I can find it a new home for some gas money.

It's hickory, 58" ntn, 50# at 28". I wanted to try paraffin and this was my first shot. I'm not sure I used enough, but it beads water like a champ. It holds 1/2" of reflex and really shoots well. Tempered belly, pin nocks, jute handle wrap. I had to use B50 for the string, man I dislike using this stuff :-X The tips came out looking pretty stiff, I suppose I could have gotten some more weight by letting them bend more? Anyway, it's nice as it is. Might have to make another one with a nice sinew backing at my weight...

blackhawk

Re: Little short bow
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 09:55:49 pm »
Nice simple stick n string. The way a meat maker should be. I like the Eiffel tower narrow tips. Should have a fast smooth cast.  :)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:30:52 pm »
recurves and sinew will give you a nice little shooter for your next one. Did you bring that down to floor tillering dimensions and let it sit a few weeks before you finished it?
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:46:16 pm »
Very nice, tller looks spot on. That is my kind of bow.  To me The simplest bows are the prettiest.   Great job.
Traverse City, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 11:55:34 pm »
I like it, Kegan, simple. I'd whittle a little more off the tip area if it was my "huntin'" bow. Oh, and 58" isn't really that short for everyboy else. :D ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:45:09 am by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Traxx

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:43:11 am »
Looks Pretty Good ta me!!!

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 04:24:38 am »
Simple bow with real style. Like it a lot.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 04:31:50 am »
Nice looking bow.  I like the natural camo back.  Why do you dislike the B-50?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 08:44:37 am »
nice bow Kegan, I really like that design for hickory. Some sinew on that bow will do wonders for it. It is just a little longer version of the bow I just made. Others may disagree with me but I think hickory does well short in length and thick in cross section. You just have to be carefull with the tiller. It will make a high poundage bow with little follow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:46:18 am »
Thats right up my alley, sweet bow!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:07:09 pm »
Nice bow, I've got one very similar to that but it's lumber.  I love this type of bow and weight, easy to carry, easy to shoot, accurate and effective.
1’—>1’

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 04:51:25 pm »
Thanks everyone :)

Legionnaire- yup! I really abuse my selfbows by speeding them through the drying process. It's made some other woods, like oak, really brittle but hickory is pretty forgiving. Good thing that's what we have most of here.

Mullet- The tips were actually super skinny tips, back when it was about 8" longer. I only removed some, hoping to make sure I didn't have any tracking issues. After putting a couple arrows through it there wasn't much shock and the cast was alright, so I left it. And I suppose it isn't that short... I have a couple in the 52-56" range still in the works ;D

Osage Outlaw- I dislike B50 so much because it stretches like crazy. I've gotten used to FF strings on all my bows, but am running low so had to use Dacron for this one. Bracing a bow to 10" and watching it creep down to 5" or 6" makes me cringe!

JonW- I love your sinew backed hickory bow! I think this one would have benefited more from more working mid limbs, but I agree, sinew and hickory make a wicked short bow combo. I have two (now three) shorter hickory bows in the works that are getting paired with sinew in hopes of taking them hunting, as well as a short sinew backed lady's bow that really flings them. The lady's bow draws 25# at 26" and outshoots the 30# 2t 26" high performance hybrid bow that I built for my friend.

Parnell- couldn't agree more. Aside from straightenning issues, this bow took little to no time to get finished out and can really take a nice bend.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 06:55:29 pm »
Very nice, tller looks spot on. That is my kind of bow.  To me The simplest bows are the prettiest.   Great job.

X2
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 10:44:22 pm »
COOL Keagan! Yeah!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 08:06:30 pm »
Thanks guys :) These little D bows are a bit addictive though...