Author Topic: tiller critique **Updated: Got'r did!!! Pics included  (Read 4971 times)

Offline k-hat

tiller critique **Updated: Got'r did!!! Pics included
« on: May 23, 2011, 04:09:09 pm »
this is a kid's bow, 53"ttt, 52"n2n, bendy handle, same width (1.25") with thickness taper out to midlimb, then width tapers to 1/2 inch nocks and uniform thickness. Tips are even, but the bend isn't exactly the same as you can see from the grid. Am I being too picky? Wanna take her out to 26 inches, at 22 now with a 6" brace.

Thanks guys!

Here she is after some work,  looking better?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:09:03 am by stixman »

Offline bigcountry

Re: tiller critique
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:30:39 pm »
Looks to me, your left limb is stouter, and you got too much bend outer 1/3 on right.  I would get even bend with a tillering gizmo on that right limb and knock some wieght off the left.
Westminster, MD

Offline k-hat

Re: tiller critique
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:46:51 pm »
thanks BC, working on it.  I'll update shortly!!

Offline johnston

Re: tiller critique **Updated**
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 08:04:36 pm »
Looks pretty good if you ignore all those little squares in the background ;D.

To my blind eyes the last picture shows a bow ready to be shot a little if it was at desired draw length.
But I don't know too much.

Lane

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 01:13:17 am »
I like how your scale is attached to the bowstring, more closely representing fingers. I often wondered what the difference in weight is when I go from a simple hook to 3 fingers on the string.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:59:14 am »
Looks pretty darn good to me,I would be shooting that thing. Nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 06:13:40 pm »
What are you waiting for take it down off the wall and shoot it.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 10:55:59 pm »
Excellent tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 01:13:50 am »
Thanks guys!!  Appreciate the encouragement.  unfortunately i've only put a couple of arrows through just to see what she'd do, but that was at about 16 inches draw.  now i've got her out to 26 inches, came in at 15#, which is the neighborhood i was hunt'n fer.  Seems like these thinner bows are harder to tiller than the heavier ones!!  the only downer is that hinge that began to develop.  I was able to work around it and still get a nice draw curve, but the unbraced profile is a little screwy :-[    Oh well, guess if it was fer looking perty unstrung, i wouldn't tiller it to begin with ;)  Been a real good learning experience and y'alls input has been very helpful.  If these stinkin tornadoes will go on round us, maybe i can take my son out tomorrow to take her for a spin. It's the second bow i've made for him, hope he likes it!  i'll put another pic up when i've got her all decked out with handle wrap and finish :)

RPS:  the scale thing was kind of serendipitous.  I didn't like the idea of the hook going on the string, and it did seem like it'd be a little unnatural too.  I found a couple of links with the screw closure that worked nicely for hooks and could hold a lotta weight, so i modified the getup and this is what i got.  Looking back, it does seem to help.  It's also pushing me in the direction of Dean Torge's philosophy of the stiffer limb being the upper rather than the lower.  Fits with my physics background as well (that's these schools have been letting me teach for the past 10 years or so ;D).  Course, i'm probly starting an argument now >:D  cause i know there's lots of opinions round here bout that from men who've been doing this a lot longer than me.  All i know is what i see working in my garage and in my hands ;)

Offline k-hat

Re: tiller critique **Updated: Got'r did!!! Pics included
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 01:21:02 am »
K boys and girls, here it is all done but the waxn.  Thanks so much for all the great advice and encouragement.  I love PA!

Stats:  53" ttt, 52" ntn, 15#@25".  Made based on "the perfect [bendy] bow" in TBB1.  I was going for a more primitive look, hence the art sinew and tie-on nocks.  I burnished it today and will wax it later on after she's good and broken in.   This one is the second for my son, and he's already in love :P, put a few arras thru already and he says it feels good and i ain't arguin!

Here are the pics, sorry the quality aint so great:

Side profile unbraced, straightens out real nice-like.  heated in about 2" of reflex to start, which i figured would tiller out to give a flat profile.  Perty close!!

ignore the leftover handle lace.  I didn't wanna cut it off just yet so i could rewrap it later.

And the money pic.  I sure was hopin he didn't let'r slip and put an arra in the tv!!

Thanks again!!  I welcome any critique, long as it's nice ;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 08:01:07 am »
Very nice work!
Tillering those low poundage bows can be a nightmare.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 08:36:09 am »
Nice job, looks like a shooter!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 09:05:43 am »
Nice job. Let him loose the arrow, TV sucks anyways!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 10:40:46 am »
Nice job,ya tillering a light weight bow always gives me trouble,looks like you done good,great looking
boy also.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 11:21:32 am »
Looks good, Im glad you got it tillered out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.