Author Topic: A Hackberry named "Chub" * w/ a facelift *  (Read 6117 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
A Hackberry named "Chub" * w/ a facelift *
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:35:57 pm »
Long story short as possible. My grandpa nicknamed my cousin "Chub" when he was a baby, for obvious reasons. Anywho the name stuck with gramps and me, we still call him Chub. I cut the wood off his land and named the bow accordingly, he was flattered. Its 60" ntn, 54# @ 28" and bends throughout its length. The widest area is 1 9/16" with a taper starting at mid limb to 3/8" tips. No glue, no overlays, just wood and Tru Oil. I toasted the belly and flipped the tips just slightly to fight off a poor string angle. Thanks for peeking!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:26:07 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: A Hackberry named "Chub"
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:44:17 pm »
Looks sweet.  You sure are cranking out the D-bows.  Your tiller looks perfect again.  Thanks, now I'm getting the itch to make one. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:47:14 pm »
This is one killer looking bow,nice tiller.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 10:42:56 pm »
Sweet bow! Keepin it simple...my favorite. Keep up the fine work.
Rockford, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:52:28 pm »
Nice plane jane there....from tree to bow in about a month eh?    So what are your thoughts on mongo...I mean hackberry  :D

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 12:18:48 am »
Hell of a name for such a purdy girl........really like your bow sir ;)  Ya can allmost smell October in the air, eh?

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 12:40:55 am »
nice d-bow with excellent tiller,..can't beat that.  good job in gift giving.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 05:20:58 am »
Nice bow, I like the slightly asymetric shape unstrung and the full draw is working hard in that centre section, yet still smmoth as silk (Mine always come out a hint twards whip tillered, so I appreciate a bow which is a bit the other way)
Clean simple sweet, love it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 07:27:05 am »
Great looking bow,beautiful tiller and finish work. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:52:52 am »
Thanks guys, I have 6 more staves and a gorgeous set of sister billets to work with. I cant wait to start another with a little more reflex. This one is my best shooter to date, very fast and very hard hitting. Im thinking its very light mass weight and slighty flipped tips contribute to that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 05:41:45 pm »
very nice bow Pearls , i like the full draw

you still hanging on TG too?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 05:58:53 pm »
Im over there some Ken. I prefer all wood bows and this place tends to have a few more to stare at. I have had about 40-50 replies on various sites. Two fella's said my limbs are too stiff mid way and my handle is working too much.......why cant I see that? Am I alone?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 06:06:44 pm »
I think the handle area looks good!  I like to feel the handle area bend just as I hit full draw that way I know I'm getting all the goodie out of the bow. The tips are a bit stiff but not too much, IMO. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 06:32:31 pm »
tips are a bit stiff but i build all mine that way . if i remember correctly (and im sure someone will let me know if not) tips only store 7 percent of the limbs energy . so ive always left them stiff to make the higher energy storing area work harder. maybe this is just redneck reasoning but its what i do . either way great lookin bow and good job , dont let em get ya down ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: A Hackberry named "Chub" * w/ a facelift *
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 02:27:52 pm »
After a 1000 or so shots I decided it was time to purdy her up a bit. I added brown snake skins to the grip and tips, added some red wraps and a new grip. Its the last pic