Author Topic: Ringthorn  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Arrowind

Ringthorn
« on: May 28, 2011, 01:16:56 pm »
The name of this bow is "Ringthorn".  I made it for my younger brother for his birthday. He has a video production company called Ringthorn Productions.  It is also the title of a screen play I wrote for an independent movie based on a character he created... He saw I had made one for my older brother and I could tell he really wanted one too. (He was jealous) We also used to shoot when we were kids. 

This whole time I kept telling him if he wanted one he was going to have to learn to make it himself. I told him to come to my house and pick out some wood to make his own bow.  He came over last night and I had him looking through pieces of wood then I pulled this bow out from the closet and said "Or you could just use this one."  You should have seen his face.  It was Awesome! Anyway we spent about an hour shooting last night.  He thinks the bow makes him shoot better...Just like new shoes make you run faster!  ;D 

Maple 

Pyramid Design 3" wide tapering to .5"   

Handle is wrapped with buck skin 

Strike plate is also buck skin

Arrow rest is topped with deer fur

The Artwork is painted with Acrylic Gold Metallic Paint

It was stained with fiebing's medium brown colored dye

Finished with 10 coats of wipe on poly

43# @ 28"
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

Re: Ringthorn
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 01:17:35 pm »
More Pics
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 01:23:32 pm »
Beautiful bow. Great artwork. Thanks for sharing.

HatchA

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 02:18:53 pm »
Beautiful bow!  Great artwork and finish!!

Someone needs to tell your bro's to keep both eyes open ;)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 02:42:02 pm »
great artwork and stain job. now you three can go hunt together. ;)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Mister D

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 03:57:59 pm »
your brother is a lucky guy - that is a gorgeous bow
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 05:36:56 pm »
Good looking bow and tiller. He should be proud!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 03:26:59 am »
Beautiful bow!  Great artwork and finish!!

Someone needs to tell your bro's to keep both eyes open ;)

Thanks! 

Yeah I noticed that too.  I should point it out to both of them.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 03:30:38 am »
Hrothgar, Mister D, Scott D  THANKS!

ErictheViking - Thanks!  Yeah we're planning to go hunting in a few months...need lot's of practice first. 

Hatch A, ryoon4690   -  Thanks!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 03:52:33 am »
I like the artwork you put on this bow!  Nice work!

I think that might be the widest pyramid bow I've seen though ;) 

I love maple!

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 05:43:34 am »
Very nice bow! The time you spent finishing this artwork really stands out. But now im confused, are you saying new shoes dont make you walk faster??? ???

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 12:22:58 pm »
I like the artwork you put on this bow!  Nice work!

I think that might be the widest pyramid bow I've seen though ;) 

I love maple!

Cameroo - THANKS!  I have another pyramid stile bow that is just over 2" at it's widest point. My brother kept saying "I REALLY like that design"  so I knew if I made him a bow I'd go with that style.  I thought to myself "If he likes it so much I'm really going to pronounce the design and make it wider."  Trust me when I was making it I was thinking..."man this is wide...maybe it's TOO wide.  I hope it turns out."  I just went with it and it seems to have turned out fine.  Plus it gave me more room for the artwork.  :D

If you go to TBB vol II  pgs 29-30 you'll see another one  just as wide.  And again on page 49 another one that is still pretty wide but a tad bit more narrow.

This is the first time I've used maple and I really like it too!  Thanks again!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 12:32:10 pm »
nathan -  THANKS!  No I'm not saying new shoes make you "WALK" faster they make you "RUN" faster.

I think I failed to mention in the description that this is also a magic bow and has heat seeking arrows.  >:D  yeah that's it...MaaAAAagic  ::)

That was actually the hardest part...

Oh also, I have a third brother named Nathan.  I need to make him a bow too now so he won't feel left out....fortunately for me his birthday isn't until October....