Author Topic: Sharing ranges with compound bows  (Read 9637 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: Sharing ranges with compound bows
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 02:55:28 am »
Well Matt, that's entirely to reasonable and practical, probably why I didn't think of it.  ::) Maybe I'll bring my foam target along when I go.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 10:49:57 pm »
Makes me really appreciate being able to roam and stump shoot on my measly 3 acres (plus my ol' man's) 27 acres...I know I feel a lot better turning my 2 young boys loose out back without a worry or a care about houses, people or things that really matter.  Sometimes you don't know your blessing until you see the other side of the coin.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 02:17:45 am »
Howdy,  I've heard about that range up in Golden Gate......crazy set up.   I would suggest that you talk to how-ever is in  charge of your range and see about having the back stops (hopefully they're excelsior or very compacted straw)  placed at staggered distances.    I have a hard time believing that the compounders always want to shoot at 1/2 mile.    If they hunt, or do 3Ds they need to sight in their 20, 30 and etc. yard pins as well. 
In the meantime I like Matt's idea.  Just take your own target.
The compound shooters are playing a rather different game than us, but my experience is that they're a basically great group, too.   
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 02:47:07 am »
Howdy,  I've heard about that range up in Golden Gate......crazy set up.   I would suggest that you talk to how-ever is in  charge of your range and see about having the back stops (hopefully they're excelsior or very compacted straw)  placed at staggered distances.    I have a hard time believing that the compounders always want to shoot at 1/2 mile.    If they hunt, or do 3Ds they need to sight in their 20, 30 and etc. yard pins as well. 
In the meantime I like Matt's idea.  Just take your own target.
The compound shooters are playing a rather different game than us, but my experience is that they're a basically great group, too.   
Ron
they are a great group, they just need all these fancy devices to seem as good as someone with a wood bow ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 02:42:36 pm »
Fishfinder,  I agree... and you should see how impressed some of those guys are if you can shoot from the same stake and post a score that's anywhere close to theirs.   They seem awfully resistant to trying to shoot a real bow, though.
Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 01:06:31 pm »
   Guess I'm lucky never used a range could always just shoo in my back yard if I wanted. I only do this when tillering a bow. I do all my real practice stumping.

I
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 01:41:39 pm »
  SORRY ABOUT THAT
  I'm sure there public land or a farmer that will let you shoot. I love shooting those fields where the round bales a left setting around. I've even shot back my hall way on those rainy days when I wanted to shoot. Did'nt make the old lady to happy but she dos'nt like it when I deer hunting everyday either. OWELL
   Sorry I think everyone lives in the country but I'm sure you can find somewhere to shoot other than the range if you really want to.

Offline John hoare

• John Eric Hoare
    • http://www.lulu.com
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 08:51:15 am »
Hi Weylin,
The best and only way is to buy your own wood. Set a purely instinctive club up and post a notice up to the effect:
This wood is only for the use of those who practice genuine instinctive archery. I regret that on no account are training wheels or sighting aids allowed. It takes too long to release an arrow, and that alone could cause those waiting to shoot to fall asleep at the peg, which could prove dangerous.
It is unfortunate, but archery seems to have taken a turn for the worst when compounds and sighting aids entered the archery scene. It takes a high degree of natural skill and a little speed to shoot a primitive and traditional bow instinctively. The modern archer does not know this, they are not taught this, and therefore know no different. It is up to us the primitive and traditional archers to teach them. But then, maybe they have tried instinctive shooting and have chosen the wheels and such as the easier option. I don't mean to be critical of the people who make use of wheels Weylin, but you are right, they do tend to be sloooower and do put the instinctive archer off their stride. The only cure is to be separate and shoot with other instinctive archers in or at an instinctive club, and they, where I live, are as rare as hen's teeth. So I shoot by myself in my back garden, which isn't much fun, but at least I am in no danger of going to sleep.  [/b]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:00:26 am by John hoare »

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 04:26:14 am »
Sloooooower!      One of my buddies was practicing in an indoor range and a rather boorish compounder said something about my buddie's yew longbow shooting slow.  My friend made a bet that his longbow shot faster than the compound.   The other guy agreed, so they stepped up to the line to put it to the test.   My buddy shot off three arrows before the compound had even released one,   said "see" and then asked the other guy to pay up.   I think he's still waiting.    Ron

Offline John hoare

• John Eric Hoare
    • http://www.lulu.com
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 09:32:17 am »
Hi M-T.
A Jesuit priest once said: "Give to me the child and in seven years I will give you back the man." Maybe we should teach our kids to shoot with genuine instinct at this early age before those with the wheels and other things get to them. Then we would not have sky-high insurance premiums and boring over long shoots to contend with. Then instinctive clubs would be thick on the ground. >:D

Plant the seed and it will grow; do nothing and somebody else will plant the seed for you...usually theirs.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 04:26:15 pm »
I hate instinctive shooting... gap shooting is better  ;)

I don't think there's anything wrong with sights or compounds. I just think that the whole, "this way or that way" seperation is causing massive issues. Why can't we all play nice?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 03:22:58 am »
I shot a compound bow for years but never understood archery until I started building bows.  If you make the equipment it forces you to come to terms with with what ARCHERY IS.  I also design radio controlled airplanes which forces you to learn why a plane preform in a certain way under certain conditions.  When I take the plane to the flying field pilots that buy ready made planes can't understand why I don't just buy ready made planes.  I think in this country we are moving to a "I want it now" mentality.  It seems like it is fueled by immediate gratification and connected to comsumerism.  With modern equipment you don't need to know why and think for yourself because all you are doing is pushing a button and watching how well someones Else's creation works.  Now this is not a bad thing but it is what it is.  Sounds like distance for them creates challenge.  Think about that idea for a minute.  If you take parts off their bow it would create challenge but it does not fit with the idea of selling stuff.  More distance more cost.  Funny thing I figured out when hunting traditional I  learned to hunt so that the long shoots were not necessary. So making my equipment really taught me archery and this taught me to really learn to hunt and take shoots at 15 yards. I did not know how much I did not know before I started building so it make sense that there is problem.  I would leave the uninformed alone and take your own target to a safe place that you can shoot 15 yards.   
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:28:33 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 05:58:15 pm »
Hmm, ive been going to a place where crossbows and compounds thrive, but i just found out theres a trad range close to me! Yaaaaaaayyy!  ;D
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 02:32:33 pm »
   My grandfather have a old saying. IF YOU DO'NT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT SHUT UP BECAUSE YOU MIGHT LOOK STUPITER THAN YOU REALLY ARE. I think you'll have a hard time makeing instinstive shooters switch when it comes to hunting.
  10,000 YEARS of instintive shooting might tell you something.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 02:51:26 pm »
Once the compound shooters have shot at a longer distance and you waited on them then I would think they could wait at 20 yards while you shoot your arrows, then all advance to remove them from the target. Are you the only trad shooter there? If several trad shooters are there then it would aid in the support of stopping briefly for the shorter shot. As someone said you can shoot 3 arrows in the time a compound shooter can shoot one, so the wait is brief. Just ask, I believe they would understand.

I started shooting a recurve, then a Howard Hill longbow, then a Pacer compound. Yeah I was around when the first Allen compound was introduced. I also started with a 22 rifle and an 870 shotgun. Went to a 35 Remington and a single shot 3 1/2 mag shotgun. Next step was a flintlock rifle and smoothbore flintlock. Never could find a place for a crossbow.
I still shoot and hunt with all manner of weapons and love them all. To take a deer or an elk with a longbow or a compound requires the same skills right up to the shot. A compound may or may not give a distance advantage, it depends on the person shooting. Folks who say their style of hunting is so much better, then why would you put down someones choice to shoot a "lesser weapon".  I have made several self bows and arrows and hunt with them, but also hunt with modern bows. We are all pursing game with an arrow. I do have more admiration for someone who goes out onto the playing field with a self bow and arrows, then successfully takes game. Be proud of what you do and be willing to share the chase. I for one would rather share the field with a compound shooter than a rifle hunter that shoots 500 yard X rings...just my perspective.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes