Author Topic: Do not upset the Native Americans ......  (Read 9310 times)

Offline half eye

Do not upset the Native Americans ......
« on: May 30, 2011, 02:20:26 am »
Was doing some arrow searches the other day and happened to run across this little ditty from the Peabody Museum.....

There are 26 Sioux arrows pictured here, the kicker is they ALL came from the body of a single trooper, at the Little Big Horn. I aint absolutely sure but I do believe he died of his wounds....
rich

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Do not upset the Native Americans ......
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 02:23:56 am »
I'm guessing they probably did the poor soul a favor by plugging him with that many holes... would have certainly ended the suffering faster  :-\

Cool arrows though!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 02:54:52 am »
WOW :o I wonder what made him stand out so much that he got that many warriors shooting arrows at him.  very cool find.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 03:18:26 am »
Erik,
    Watched a recent program on History Channel, seems like towards the end at what the whites call "last stand hill" the Native accounts were that dust and dirt were so thick that about all they could see was shadowy forms, and a few muzzel flashes. The Native accounts say they surrounded the hill-top on foot, from about 100 yards, and lobbed arrows in (like mortar fire) till the shootin stopped and then went in and finished the killin. It was more effective against the troops that were prone behind dead horses, than rifle fire. That may be why he got so many, like hail comin straight down and nowheres to go.
rich

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:11:53 am »
I'd love to have a collection of arrows like that BUT I'd rather not collect them in the manner that poor soul did... ;D

Cool stuff Rich, I always enjoy your threads, posts and pics.  Thanks for sharing~

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 01:46:17 pm »
 :o
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 02:51:07 pm »
White man gave them metal points for their arrows, they were just returning them.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 07:08:17 pm »
White man gave them metal points for their arrows, they were just returning them.

;D and unfortunately we deserved every one and more...

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 07:32:12 pm »
Thanks for the account Rich. Makes more sense now, they did what anybody would have done to stop the rifle fire from the enemy and keep their own hides hole free.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 12:27:32 pm »
Cool arrows and history behind them,it does look like as much trouble as shafts are to make they would have pulled them out and took them with them when they left,I know I would have.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 12:46:32 pm »
Well if your going to do something, do it right!
1’—>1’

Cacatch

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 12:52:27 pm »
Thanks for sharing Rich. Is it just me or do some of those arrows appear to be 2-fletch? Very cool no doubt!

CP

Offline degoins

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 02:44:55 pm »
It was not uncommon for Indians to pin cushion people like that. I've seen a couple of period photos from different battles or attacks where the bodies were stripped mutilated and shot full of arrows. I read one account where the unfortunate recipient got the pin cushion treatment right from the get go at point blank range. His friend standing beside him got the strip naked and run for it option. He survived and wrote of the experience. I wish I could remember who it was now.   

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 03:03:22 pm »
Ouch!  That had to sting!
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 01:08:20 pm »
Only Thomas was hated more than George by the warriors at the Little Big Horn.  His body was badly mutilated, but identified by a tattoo of his initials on his arm. They could have been in him, but who knows
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.