Author Topic: Buying staves on Ebay  (Read 14018 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
Re: Buying staves on Ebay
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 11:50:50 am »
I hate people who "Jack Up" the shipping, evil bay is the worst about that. They try to make money off the shipping so you really have to watch that. I firmly believe in only charging actual shipping and what is the deal with a handling charge anyway? Why should you pay me to "Handle" my own goods?
Afterall, I had to handle the logs when I brought them home, then I had to handle them when I split them, handle them to prep them, and handle them again when I sealed them. Why should you have to pay somebody to handle their own wood just because you agreed to buy some? That's just a BS way of jacking up the price and call it something that it isn't. It should be called "Shipping and Bulls**t charges" in my opinion.
Now packaging is a different story, packing materials can get expensive. So if you need a couple extra bucks for packaging I can completely understand that, but it should be figured into the cost of the product and doesn't even need to be mentioned at the time the order is placed.

Just be cautious and do your research before you buy, lots of shysters out there.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline bcbull

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 02:16:09 pm »
id recomend u stay with some of the good ol tired and true boys right here on trade gang kerry b, dean marlo ,chris and a few other s can do ya just as good as any e bay guys and most of the time better i buy e bay staves at times but im damn pickey about who i get em from you just gotta do ur homework brock

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 02:32:58 pm »
id recomend u stay with some of the good ol tired and true boys right here on trade gang

???        ???       ???
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 09:35:47 am »
I have bought  and sold staves on Ebay several years now. Probably close to 300. And I have had very little trouble either way. Look at there feeback score and that will tell you a-lot. Stay away  from the one picture staves. Of course a good clean 6 foot long Osage stave will bring good money but they will cost you from the big vendors also. I see a-lot of good whitewoods bring practically nothing on Ebay. Most guys on there will make it right with you if something is wrong. I have had more trouble with the shipping than the buyer selling staves on Ebay.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 11:21:54 am »
So how do you guys ship white woods that you don't want the back to get violated or nicked or nothin during shipping?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 12:46:53 pm »
Either they have the bark still on them or they use card board boxes ect. to ship them in. I use several wraps of shrink wrap then use a heat gun to shrink it tight. Dean

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 02:56:17 pm »
I've used the guy on eBay that I see a few of you have mentioned and never had a problem. Another added bonus to save you some time I've noticed that he takes the stave down to a single growth ring, even on osage where it's more intensive than just removing the bark and then seals everything up with poly. Shipping is a little high but not horrible, about $20 but the shipping is based on the weight and length of the stave, I've had bows cost more to ship then what he charges for staves. Plus I just build the shipping price into what I want to pay total for the stave and if I get it for that price then great, if not then I pass. I still end up getting Osage and hackberry for less than $30 a stave normally.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 05:10:07 pm »
The odds are, IMO, if you buy a stave off ebay you're going to be more satisfied than if you bought it off some guy on the web.  That goes for staves, rocks, glue, leather, pelts, antler, and all the other goodies.  I've always had good results with ebay... but I'm cautious and I don't go crazy buying a lot of stuff right away when I find a new seller.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 12:41:47 am »
I am also a satisfied customer if le_enterprise on ebay. His descriptions are honest and the staves in his photos are the exact stave you will receive. He even has refunded money to my papal acct. If shipping has been lower than he expected. A pleasant surprise when I log in! I just received a mulberry stave from him today actually. I'm not sure if he is a bowyer himself but it seems that he might be because he knows how to pick quality wood.
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 02:16:58 am »
I'm not sure if he is a bowyer himself but it seems that he might be because he knows how to pick quality wood.

I know Laverne very well...he is no Bowyer...but has listened over the Years to all that has been told to Him on what We expect from a Stave...and he does a great Job...I too have been refunded Money on Shipping from Him...and also have received numerous free Staves for one that had Problems...this was years ago when He just started cutting Staves...and I have also received Staves out of the Blue from Him...with a note to Try This One Out...I think he is about as Honest as they come...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline adb

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 02:35:38 am »
His name is Lavern Bartels, and yes, he's a straight shooter. I've purchased many staves from him, both on and off eBay, with zero problems. He sent me some elm staves that ended up twisting like pretzels, but replaced them all at NO cost. Don't hesitate to purchase from him, he's a good guy. I only wish he sold yew.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 03:06:01 am »
I am always leary about the stave sellers on ebay, good to know that guy is honest. thanks fellas
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 09:30:47 am »
So how do you guys ship white woods that you don't want the back to get violated or nicked or nothin during shipping?
I wrap my staves in Tyvek like you put against your house under the siding, then I shrink wrap it real good. Haven't had a problem yet.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 11:10:23 am »
"I've noticed that he takes the stave down to a single growth ring, even on osage where it's more intensive than just removing the bark and then seals everything up with poly."

That right there would have me sold.  ;D  I know if I buy off ebay ill buy off of this Laverne feller for sure. Sounds like good deals and an honest guy. So you guys use shrink wrap alot to wrap your staves? Will it keep the back from being violated? I was just gonna duct tape two layers of card board to the back on this hackberry I gotta ship.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 01:16:04 pm »
If it's a hackberry stave that would be compromised from a nick or gouge in the back then you better protect it well. If it's osage where your probably going to chase your own ring anyway it doesn't matter if it has a nick or a small gouge in the ring cause you got plenty more there to chase down to. I always remove bark, sapwood, and get it down to the first ring then seal with Spar Urethane, unless I sell it as raw with bark on which I have done on occasion too.
Either way the customer knows what they are getting before a deal is made. Shipping depends more on your location than anything else. Weight and length does matter to a certain extent, but I can tell you this........the same stave to Oregon or Washington state will cost you another half as much as the same size/weight stave will to the midwest or east coast will, or even further south. Something about the upper west coast is amazingly high on shipping. I've never had one cost $30 bucks to ship but not too far from it, upper $20's for a few that went to Wa. and Oregon. Heck I sent one to Alaska that didn't cost as much as the upper west coast states did. I also hear that shipping to Hawaii is unbelievably expensive? Don't know cause I normally just ship to US Continental states unless a guy is willing to pay the shipping then I'll send it anywhere they want me to, but most guys arent' willing to pay the price to get it there.