Author Topic: Buying staves on Ebay  (Read 14020 times)

Offline Weylin

Buying staves on Ebay
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:30:48 am »
Does anyone have experience buying staves on ebay or other online means where you don't know the seller and you can't put your hands on the product? I'd like some advice on whether it is a good/bad idea, things to watch out for and such.

thanks
Weylin

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
Re: Buying staves on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 02:31:30 am »
Ask for pictures of every possible angle, back, belly, growth rings (close ups), and make sure that the pics you recieve is the exact stave that your going to get. Ask lots of questions and if anything seems fishy, don't buy it.
Be sure to use paypal if your buying off of ebay so you have buyer's protection.

I have been selling staves for over a year now and most of my payments come in the form of money orders and haven't had a glitch as of yet, but I don't use ebay at all. Not trying to make a sale here or anything, just letting you know the experience I'm speaking from.

I would honestly look around on other trad archery websites and buy from sponsors on those sites before I trusted someone on ebay that may or may not even know anything about the wood they are selling. Just because they can drop it, split it, and list it doesn't mean they know all that much about it. Or try to make it to one of the many trad functions like MOJAM where you can hand pick your own and actually talk to the seller face to face would be the best case scenerio.

Food for thought. That's my 2 cents.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 02:13:03 pm »
Hit or miss on bay.  I got some good stuff, and bad stuff.  All you can do is study the pictures, and even still, they make the rings look bigger than they are.

Best stuff I have ever got has been from Mike McGuire.  Too bad, I heard many got the shaft from him lately.  Hopefully, he will come back strong.  He usually has some good stuff.
Westminster, MD

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:21:49 pm »
I saw the same post on TG about that guy and while I don't know him personally nor have I ever bought from him, I don't approve of the way the transactions were conducted. I don't wanna open up a can of worms over here, but if anybody asks you to send a deposit on some staves they don't have that should throw up a red flag.
I would never ask for money on wood that isn't in my possesion and if I send pics of a stave and tell you that's your stave, you can bet your gonads that IS the stave you will get.

Again, just my .02 cents worth.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 02:49:08 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm leery about buying anything off of ebay but especially so about something as finicky as a bow stave. I'd love to get my hands on some good osage orange becuase last time I checked it was growing pretty sparse in Oregon.  ;D But I'm not a rich guy and I can't drop anymore serious money on bow wood. That's why the ebay idea appealed to me; it seemed like there were some good deals on there for osage staves. But good deals or not I dont want to waste my money on junk.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 03:39:14 pm »
I have also wondered about ebay sometimes, cause sometimes I see some real nice straight staves for only round 10 bucks, but I just don't think I could chance it. Even if it's 30 altogether with shipping, 30 bucks is alot to me to waste anymore if it don't turn out usable, or I gotta heat straighten it, which ain't that big of a deal, just annoying. I don't really have trouble cuttin my own wood anyway though.

"I would honestly look around on other trad archery websites and buy from sponsors on those sites before I trusted someone on ebay that may or may not even know anything about the wood they are selling."

I agree. I would buy from SEMO anytime before ebay. Or anyone on these forums or paleoplanet before ebay. But those deals are sometimes hard to ignore, especially when theres cheap pieces of yew,... very tempting...  >:D >:D >:D

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 05:44:23 pm »
I have never had a problem one...off of eBay....when I get off of work...I will PM you the names of a couple that I have bought numerous staves from with out a hitch....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 07:32:44 pm »
Best stuff I have ever got has been from Mike McGuire.  Too bad, I heard many got the shaft from him lately. 

I have ALWAYS gotten good wood from Mike.  I just got tired of waiting 6-8 wks after he cashed my check before he sent anything. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 08:14:33 pm »
try mike at pine hollow longbows, he sells staves and boards and billets, and I've never heard a bad word about him, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 09:42:11 pm »
Kerryb always has some good wood and he is great to deal with!  ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 09:56:21 pm »
I bought several from a guy in tecumseh, NE.  LE enterprises or something like that.  Shipped fast and was exactly what was described and in the numerous photo's.  I would recommend him.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 10:50:35 pm »
Yep....thats the Guy I emailed you about Weylin...he will do you right.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 11:23:40 pm »
Good to know. He was the one I saw first. Glad to know he's a straight shooter.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 11:26:08 pm »
Great Guy....Good Wood...and really nice to deal with...and His Shipping isn't all Jacked Up either
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cracker

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 12:48:35 am »
I've bought from LE ent. before always good results.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?