Author Topic: Cody's build along (finished pictures page 6 full draw added)  (Read 51986 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
My wife is the leader for a group of about 30 girls from 12-17 and they are at girls camp this week.  I figured this was the perfect time for Cody to build his bow.

I told you guys I was going to post a build along when Cody made his first bow. The bow is 68" mulberry that Cody helped me to cut last fall. He even split the log himself. A lot of work for a 10 year old.  It had a lot of sapwood on it so we used the band saw to remove the sapwood.  I let him do all the cutting, I just didn't get far from the kill switch.  ;) I did spell him off for a while when he was using the draw knife to remove the rest of the sapwood and chase a ring.  I even gave him one of the pieces of banding that Pappy let me have. He filed and sharpened it and made himself a scraper.  He then sealed the back with glue. I helped him with the dimensions, and he laid out the bow.  I helped him cut out the profile so he didn't loose all his hard work. 

That took up all day Monday, so we cooled off before bed.  ;D   Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 10:40:57 pm by Justin Snyder »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Cody's build along
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 08:42:27 pm »
More

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

jamie

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 08:42:55 pm »
thats friggin cool

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 08:45:30 pm »
 Ah yes ! Indroctinate the children ! ;D ;D Good lookin' bow ta be and boy....bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 09:06:21 pm »
Who's the goofy bald guy in the background? ;D    This is way cool. Looking forward to following Cody's progress with his new bow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 09:44:08 pm »
Justin these will be memories neither of you will forget. Warms my heart to see this.
Cody can't wait to see yer hero shot. Well done.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

duffontap

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 09:47:33 pm »
I'll trade you the pacific ocean for that swimming pool.  Man that looks like a blast.  Very nice design too. 

Is that a powermatic bandsaw?  Do you like it?

J. D. Duff

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 09:48:04 pm »
Thanks guys.  We were hoping to get the propeller out and get to tillering today, but work got in the way. The best part is I can work on my bows while he is working on his. While we are working together he stays motivated.  He is a little like Greg though. He lets you know when its meal time.  ;) ;D Justin

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 11:02:03 pm »
That's cool Justin! I'm hoping when I get comfortable building bows I will be able to get one of my kids interested.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 12:11:54 am »
JD, I was posting while you were so I didn't see your post.  I love the pool.  We open it for spring break in the first of April and close it after Cody's birthday on October 10.  We heat it in April and again the end of September till closing.  Right now the water is about 90*.  It is salt water, but I'm not going to soak any bows in it.  ;D The saw is a Shop Fox, and I love it. 

Cowboy, if you have boys its no worry. They are interested in any kind of weapon.  ;D  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 12:16:00 am »
 "It is salt water, but I'm not going to soak any bows in it" :D Don't start this again "Lily Pulitzer"! ;D ;D ;D.....bob

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 01:02:33 am »
Great bunch of pics. Justin. Cody looks like he is really concentrating on his bow......Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Jbell

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 01:15:16 am »
Really cool, this is going to be alot of fun.  ;D
Justin Blunt

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 03:01:12 am »

that's really nice! can't wait to see thisone fulldraw...
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 06:13:26 am »
I have the same saw Justin, its a nice saw for the price :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI