Author Topic: Things we ate as kids. A continuation of Thomas H's post  (Read 3605 times)

Offline sonny

Re: Things we ate as kids. A continuation of Thomas H's post
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 08:49:30 pm »
salt herring! every so often my dad would get a hankerin' for some and fire up the grill, typically Saturday morning.
that or our next door neighbor would fix enough to share with us. I haven't had salt herring in years.......
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 11:42:23 pm »
Your right Bear, I NEVER miss an oppertuity to eat! It don't matter what it is either. I still ain't over you not saving me them squirrel heads.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 12:37:02 am »
Shannon....if you are talking about the Squirrels at the Classic....that was me...not Bear...I just could not look at them....no way.... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 12:58:41 am »
THAT'S RIGHT!!! YOU'RE THE CULPRIT THAT TOSSED THEM OUT!! Shame on you! I wanted those brains...and eyes...and tongues ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 02:12:38 am »
Shannon, thats disgusting  :P

ive eaten some nasty crap in my days
but thats just gross  :o
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cracker

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 09:36:17 am »
Hang in there Shanon I'll see to it that you get at least one squirrel head next year.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 10:12:26 am »
So El Destructo is the culpret that threw my squirrel heads away! Those squirrels were my contribution...the heads were icing on the cake!  ;) I've got an aunt I save the squirrel heads for, she loves them! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 04:41:14 pm »
  Growing up in the city most of what I ate came from a supermarket but I was pretty good at catching crawfish, bullfrogs and some kind of a snipe looking bird that tasted great. No one mentioned eating tadpoles, they are not bad, just squish the guts out and fry. As an adult I have had the chance to sample and enjoy many of the things mentioned above. squirrel heads are one of my favorites.

Offline Polar Bear

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 07:39:54 pm »
My dads favorite was snapping turtle.  Sometimes we had soft shell turtle.  Frog legs, crawdads and whatever fish we could catch.  We had a neighbor that hunted bear and would share out the meat with us and we would share out deer, rabbit and squirrel with his family.  Both families raised different vegetables and we would swap for what we didn't have and vice versa.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.