Author Topic: River Cane Arrows  (Read 8983 times)

Offline nclonghunter

River Cane Arrows
« on: June 04, 2011, 05:06:28 pm »
I have been finding a method that works for me;

(1)The river cane used came from an area along a creek near Winston-Salem, NC. Lots of it growing and it reaches about 8-12 feet tall. It is completely dried.
I cut the nock end at the diameter I wanted it to be.  I did not worry about the node locations, which I think would make a better arrow if I had. I used a course file to lower the nodes some, then used 60 grit sand paper to smooth it down a bit more. In the past I have tried to use a stove burner to straighten the arrows by sight. This is the first improvement I learned; I used a yard stick to draw a thick straight line 36 inches long on my work bench. Also added a block of wood to bend the shaft on. Laying the cane shaft on the line, I would find that a part of the shaft would lay along the line, but then bend away. I used a propane bottle burner to heat the shaft where it deviated away from the line and bend it in line. As I rotated the shaft other deviations became easily obvious and would correct them. Quickly the shaft would rotate and stay pretty dang close to the line.

(2) I have never liked the wood shaft insert into cane for an arrow (personal preference). I always thought the insert idea was great for atlatls, but not arrows. I have tried a few but never turned out like I hoped. I took the straightened cane arrow and put it against a grinder wheel, grinding the stone point end. I ground it to the center (1/2 way) of the shaft at an angle, that removed shaft back about 3/4 of an inch. Turned it to the opposite side and did it again.  This leaves the end pointed and open like a birds beak. I selected a stone point and heated the points base while also heating the pitch ( I used arrow hot melt) and dabbing some on the base. I then heated the end of the shaft some to make it malleable at the point and pressed the stone point into the beak. Adjust the point (it's hot) using a piece of leather to align with the shaft all around its perimeter (center it). Let it cool to where you can spin the shaft and see if all is aligned.  They will spin as good as any carbon or aluminum arrow I've used with broad heads, if centered correctly.

(3) I did the exact same grinding but less angle to the nock end. The grinding will create a sharp edge in the mouth, that I am certain could cut a string. I used a very small round file to flatten and round the bottom of the nock mouth or beak. The last step was to wrap the stone points and just below the nock with sinew to strengthen and hold it all together.

I can't wait to get feathers on these and shoot them!

Thanks for looking, Lyman

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:12:34 pm by nclonghunter »
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: River Cane Arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:59:22 pm »
Nice arrows. I don't use foreshafts either. I've seen the same process done with a knife slash on each side of the cane. Works well for nock and point ends.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 12:15:05 am »
very nice imfo thanks for shareing that with us.
john 3:16

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 01:12:47 am »
good job!  i like to use a heat gun on my arrows.  i like the consistant heat, not as easy to burn them.  i havent used any kind of foreshaft on mine either, im not that good.  though, in the nock end, ill put a plug in, and then cut my nock, that way i dont have to wrap them.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 02:01:42 am »
Looks like you got the hang of it...heheh.  VERY nice!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Wallaman

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 09:58:33 am »
@NCLongHunter - I live in WS and my daughter is an archer wishing to better understand the ways of our ancestors.  Might you share the place where you found the River Cane so she can attempt to recreate the arrows as you have done?

Regards,
Wallaman

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 11:01:07 am »
Nice arrows.That sinew wrapping is the toughest wrap out there IMO.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 11:49:57 am »
Nice arrows.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 03:54:45 pm »
Nice arrows. Looking forward to seeing feathers on those.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 05:09:01 pm »
Those look sweet! Nice work
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

gutpile

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 11:01:40 am »
foreshafting cane is the way to go...your arrow will fly better and have a better foc and it adds weight to an already too light shafts..the Indians usually didn't glue in their foreshafts...so when they hit an animal they would get the shaft back..old saying..build a bow much work..build an arrow hep much work...I can get my foreshafted cane to spin as good as store bought arrows..and it doesn't take long to do it..trust me...I have tried both ways and foreshafting is the ticket..plus it just looks way cooler...gut..aka..Kirk

gutpile

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 11:04:06 am »
here is a few