Author Topic: Willow For Arrows?  (Read 3187 times)

Offline woodsman

Willow For Arrows?
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:12:14 pm »
What are your opinions on willow as an arrow material? I have a lot of it in the woods behind my house and I'm wondering if it would make a decent arrow. I'm not sure what type of willow it is. I know It's not weeping willow, but other than that, I'm not sure. It looks good, so I though I'd ask. I live in Central NY, if that helps identify the type of willow it might be. I'm new to arrow making and any opinions would be appreciated.

Offline woodsman

Re: Willow For Arrows?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:11:32 pm »
I just realised that somebody asked basically the same question a couple pages back. Don't know how I missed it. Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 10:55:47 pm »
Some of the Native Americans in the Southwest made willor arrows, i believe. I have cut willow shoots but never made arrows from it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline woodsman

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 01:04:06 am »
Thanks Pat. Like I said, I'm new to arrow making, but that willow looks awful good to me. I better cut some and
give it a try. Thanks again.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 11:56:54 am »
i have found that they need to be quit a bit thicker than other shaft materials
as they are lighter in weight,and i also find them hard to keep straight as it is a softer wood also

i like them for stumping,that way if i loose one im not a out a great shaft
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline woodsman

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 12:23:45 pm »
Thanks for the info sailordad, much appreciated. I went out this morning and cut a dozen willow shoots. On my way back home, I ran across some dogwood, so I cut some of that too. They're all bundled up to dry.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 01:30:05 pm »
When cutting shoots for arrows be sure you cut at least 2nd year growth. Shoots with just leaves on them are first year growth and will be too flimsy for arrows. You want to cut shoots with small branches where last years leaves were.
  This time of year isn't the best for cutting arrow shoots. Their yearly growth has just recently started and they are still immature. After the leaves fall in the autumn through winter is the best.   Don't let this discourage you. Let the shoots you have collect dry, scrape the bark and make arrows. They might be light(spined) but you can still learn the techniques so when winter comes you'll be able to harvest shoots and make next years arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline woodsman

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 02:11:06 pm »
That's exactly what I did Pat. I cut the shoots with only leaves on them.  ::)  I thought they were kinda flimsy, but I figured they might be better after they dried. Shows you how much I know about arrow making. I'll practice on what I've got now and cut some better stuff this winter. Thanks for the pointers Pat, I really appreciate it.