Author Topic: fish gut cordage?  (Read 4093 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

fish gut cordage?
« on: June 07, 2011, 02:28:07 am »
hi guys i was reading a couple days ago in a magazine that you could make strong cordage out of fish guts. i was wondering if this is even possiable to do and if it is how to do it. might be going fishing soon so i kinda want to try it. anything is helpfull

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: fish gut cordage?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 06:49:09 pm »
I image it would be possible-most gut is usable as cordage if it's cleaned and dried. There are a lot of materials out there that probably small better than fish guts, though...:)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:06:14 am »

Phew!  This h'yar strang you got sho do smell a bit, where been keepin it?  I would imagine that you could do liike with sausage casings, and wash it, and turn it inside out, and scrape it, and then you could let it dry, or split it and let it dry.  Let us know how it works.   ;)  Bear gut was supposed to make good bow strings.                                                                                                 

Wayne

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:21:23 am »
any idea how long i need to dry it?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:11:30 pm »

Beats my two aces,  ::) but I would assume about a couple of days or more, like sinew, or rawhide.  I would just let it dry a couple of days, and see if it is still damp, or still really flexible.  I don't really know anything about it.  But I don't see why you could not use it.  You might split it open, or just tack it down, and take a razor, and run it down the length of the intestine, and a couple of times, and take the strips, and twist them, and nail, or tie them down to dry, or use them wet to tie something, and see how they shrink, and how strong they are. ;) I'm just guessing, here, I don't know anything about fish guts for string.   ::)  You just have to experiment with it, and see how works.  Let us know how it turns out.  Always good to know another source of strong string, or cordage.   ;)

Wayne

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 04:12:39 pm »
does anybody on here make their own primitive bowstrings, if so i could use some help thanks and i would imagine fish gut would make good cordage it is very strong when not dried i will have to try this.
Everbody dies but not everybody lives