Author Topic: Hey Trapper, osage sapwood!  (Read 23145 times)

Trapper

Re: Hey Trapper, osage sapwood!
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2007, 12:30:48 am »
Hey Pat thats a nother good lookin bow, I like osage sapwood, it is as good as any of the white woods,I think, Ive built alot of bows out of it, but as you all know, I back everything with sinew, and beleive me the osage sapwood goes good with sinew, the reason I ask the question was to see if anyone else used it.    Thanks for posting Pat, Ive got two sapwood bows in the roughed out stage right now, startin to tiller on one of them.           Trapper

Offline tarsus

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2007, 02:16:40 pm »
Super cool looking bow Pat :)  Congrats, and keep up the great work.  Really like the string, its the same colors as ALL my bows ;)  David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

Dingleberry

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2007, 04:39:15 pm »
Great Bow Pat.  You gonna drag your prey up in a tree, too. ;D

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2007, 07:05:51 pm »
That really came out nice Pat! Great job! 8)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline heavybow

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2007, 01:02:11 pm »
Pat thats a cool looking bow marlon ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2007, 01:32:49 pm »
Thanks everyone. This was a fun project and a little thought provoking.  ;D
Ain't that what its all about!  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2007, 03:39:58 pm »

hi pat!  -  ahm...i'm not too excited about the backing (looks to artificial for my taste...) but i'm certainly impressed by the bow itself!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2007, 03:51:57 pm »
Hey Pat!!!
That bow is outstanding my frienf!!...BEAUTIFULL INDEED!!.. 8) 8)..
I like the backing pattern, tiller colour and that sap-on is beautifull!!..the tip overlays are great... :D :D...
A question Pat:
In the handle detail pic, I can see like the ring count in that stave is rather high, ŋIsnīt it?...thats the reason to get it backed I wander....

Thanks for sharing!!... ;)...
Cheers...
Asier. 

//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2007, 04:05:08 pm »
Asier, As long as the back ring isn't violated I usually have no problems with high ring count on osage bows. I have made some very nice bows(osage) with high ring count.  The main reason I backed this bow is because I left the sapwood on the back, but also because I rounded off the back, violating rings around several pin knot clusters. I wanted this bow to have a rounded belly and back for aesthetic reasons. I used rawhide on the back for security and the leopard skin patterned tissue paper just for decoration.
   Thanks for the nice remarks.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2007, 10:07:46 pm »
That tiller is outstanding. Really a beautiful bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2007, 12:09:49 am »
Thanks George. I shot her today and was pleased with how she performed. ;D    Pat

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2007, 07:47:41 pm »
Hey Pat!!...thanks for your fast and detailed answer fellow!!... ;) :)...
I asked you about any relation ship between high cout ring and a backing in Osage, because I got from e-bay some osage staves.
One of them is quite high count ringed stave, and I was thinking in make an English longbow out of this one.
I was warried about this high count ring for several months as Iīve eard alot about "problematic results" having such a high count ring on osage bows without a backing.
What would you recomend me to do Pat?...
Could I make an English longbow out of such an Osage stave without a backing?
I spect about  60 to 70#@28", and the stave is about 67" long, 1,25" wide and 2" depth... :)...
I think only must chase a back heartwood ring and continue as with any other bow wood.....
Thanks fellow...
Asier.   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2007, 12:44:02 am »
Asier, I made an osage ELB type bow a few years back. If it were yew, it would have had perfect ring count ;). Very thin rings!  I wanted a bow that looked like yew so I left a few layers of sapwood on the back and covered that with thin rawhide.   That bow is 67 1/2" long and pulls( I believe) 55#@26" and had horn nocks. It won BOM a few years back in January or February(I think) but I can't find it under BOM. ???       
   I gave this bow to a friend that admired it earlier this year. I very rarely shot it so why not give it to someone that would. ;D
   You could easily make an ELB style bow with only heartwood osage to your desired weight or higher. ;)    Pat

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2007, 01:39:59 pm »
Yeah Pat!!!.. :D :D...I ofcourse remember that EXCELLENT BEAUTYFULL Osage ELB you made mate!!!... 8) 8)...
In fact, I had it in consideration for my, in that moment, first bow proyects... ;)...that bow you made influenced me ALOT!!..

Then canīt wait to give it a try, and make an Osage Elb "replica" from that you made, and I think Iīll back it with thin rawhide too... ;)...just in case!!!...hehehe...
Thanks Pat!!..:D...
Cheers...
Asier. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2007, 01:46:38 pm »
Asier, Looking forward to seeing your osage ELB when you're done.    Pat