Author Topic: solf shoots  (Read 2378 times)

Offline crooketarrow

solf shoots
« on: June 09, 2011, 12:37:19 am »
   Back in the winter on one of my daily shoot cutting hikes. I came across a small stand of what I narrowed down to some sort of HAZZEL shurb. The best shoots I ever saw foot between the limbs and 7 to 8 foot tall supper straight. Very little straighting, you could shoot them like they are.  Alsome dart shoots
  I cut all I could 40 to 50 shoots. I took 20 of the best that looked to be the right spine. After sanding straighting breaking I'm down to 13. I'm ready for staining but like I said there really solf. Solfer than any I 've ever seen. Dose anyone know of a sealed I could coat them with to stiffen them up. I'm sure they'll need restraighting after pulled for the target each shot.
   There so straight they look like shafts laying on the table.If you could use them theyed save hours of time per dozzen. Maybe someone knows what they are I'm fairly sure there some sort of hazzel.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: solf shoots
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:41:52 am »
Head to the paint and thinner aisle of the hardware store.  Look for a yellow can of Minwax Wood Hardener.

It's used on wood that has begun to rot or crumble, it soaks right in and hardens up pretty quick.  I was told about this stuff by a guy that shoots basswood arrow shafts.  I tried it on some Sitka spruce to toughen them up.  Works like a charm.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:08:20 am »
   COOL I've give it a try.
       THANKS
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:58:15 pm »
Head to the paint and thinner aisle of the hardware store.  Look for a yellow can of Minwax Wood Hardener.

It's used on wood that has begun to rot or crumble, it soaks right in and hardens up pretty quick.  I was told about this stuff by a guy that shoots basswood arrow shafts.  I tried it on some Sitka spruce to toughen them up.  Works like a charm.

works well on antler billets too  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd