Author Topic: Got my trade bow......WOW (detail pics added)  (Read 9164 times)

Offline half eye

Got my trade bow......WOW (detail pics added)
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:12:31 pm »
Hey fellas,
     The mailman dropped me off a little somethin today.....sweet Jesus what a bow!!!!! Guess Blacktail got my name. The bow is Pacific Yew, 62" and draws 56# @ 27"....it has blacktail deer hoof tip overlays and very sweet grip and a flemish string.
     Rainin like a big dog here today, but no way was this baby NOT gonna get shot !!!! Give it a good coat of paste wax, mink oiled the grip.....and had it.
     Obviously it looks gorgeous, but it only gets better.....That bow draws sooooooo smooth ya cant believe it as well as driving 600 grain "poles" clean through my broadhead target (with field points) so hard the feathers was folded frontwards toward the point.

Got a nice note from John, as to how he hopes the bow was OK? and how it was his first "character bow".....well this bow could not be better in any way what-so-ever.....hell it's so good it only gets my finest hardwood arrows and stone heads ....

Thanks Blacktail (John) you are a true artist and this bow is .....well, perfect. Be happy to take some closeup shots if y'all want to get real jealous.....just didn't want ta rub it in ::) well maybe just a little-bit
rich
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:03:03 pm by half eye »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Got my trade bow......WOW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 04:31:11 pm »
Handsome bow, looks nice and knobbly too, gotta bit of character, suits you! :D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 04:54:53 pm »
You are a very blessed man. John puts allot of heart into all his bows and that baby has some very nice character.   Can't wait to see some close ups.  Well done John!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:10:04 pm »
Nice looking bow there! congrats! well done blacktail!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 05:29:48 pm »
I love the looks of that wood. Very nice bow! What are all those holes inyour shed wall and door from anyway? Im guessing the neighbor kids probably did it right?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 05:36:45 pm »
Dang, what a bow!  Great job blacktail.  Rich, you're a lucky guy.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 05:41:45 pm »
Pearl, the shed has had it's fair share of "misses" (didnt miss the shed though  :D) I could blame it on the kids or friends but they aint the only ones. Maybe some day I'll show how I test broadhead toughness ::)

Keenan, all ya got to do is look at, and handle that bow and ya know the maker's soul is in it. Just wish he had put his real name on it......but I have it on my collection catalog note!!!!

Big John,  ;D

Get those detail pics up here shortly, looks like it just might quit with the liquid sunshine....
rich

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 06:08:34 pm »
Thats a cool bow.  I want to try another yew bow.  That one had alot of character.
Westminster, MD

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 06:25:47 pm »
Very nice Rich. Can't wait to see the close-ups. Love the looks of it John
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 06:39:32 pm »
I am really impressed with these bows on the bow trade-Blacktail makes some real beauties-this one looks like no exception,nice-Hammertime

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 07:11:26 pm »
Nice tip flipping job, came out perfect.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 08:02:20 pm »
Fellas here are a few close-up shots
rich

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 08:07:49 pm »
well it sounds like you like it rich...most time when i make a bow i beat myself up trying to do the best...and this was one of them...the only other person i have made a bow for is my wife and keenan...which they have the same draw length so its easy...i guess i am working into a differant world when you make bows for other people..it was a great challenage  and learned alot from that stick...thanks for such kind words guys...you people are really great...john

blackhawk

Re: Got my trade bow......WOW (detail pics added)
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 08:39:39 pm »
Wow...thanks for makin me all full of envy :'(  look at all those beauty marks in the sapwood. Awesome

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Got my trade bow......WOW (detail pics added)
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 09:08:02 pm »
Wow...thanks for makin me all full of envy :'(  look at all those beauty marks in the sapwood. Awesome

Beautiful bow Blacktail!

I agree with you 110% blackhawk, I have had Yew envy since I first laid eyes on it but it's probably best I get a few bows under my belt before I my hands on some  ;)

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~