Author Topic: reflex question  (Read 4301 times)

Offline rebelrecurve

reflex question
« on: June 15, 2007, 09:59:29 pm »
Hi gang.  i'm working a new red oak bow, which has a little reflex in one limb, the other is straight.  Does this effect the tiller any?  Is it worth bending the straight limb the half inch or so to match, or is is insignificant?  This is only my 3rd bow and I'ne only dealt with straight limbs before.  Thanks.
Mike

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: reflex question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:44:03 pm »
Reflexing the second limb would be a great option.  You can also build it just the way it is. The limb with the reflex will just bend slightly less at full draw to make up for their starting position.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 12:18:51 am »
Actually Justin, the reflexed limb will bend more at full draw because will have move a bit before it is straight. ;)
  Mike, True tiller can only be observed at full draw. As long as one limb doesn't overpower the other before then, you're OK. ::) Don't over stress the limbs, exercise after wood removal and take your time. You will learn more about bow building by tillering out the inequities than you will by artificially straightening it.       Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rebelrecurve

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 09:12:54 am »
Thanks guys....a-tillering i will go.
Mike

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:32:41 am »
Yes Pat, it will travel farther.  I guess I need to be more clear. It will travel farther, but the final resting place would be not quite as far back because it started farther forward. At least that is where I would start. ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 11:34:24 am »
Justin, I've been hanging around Marie too long! ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC