Author Topic: Osage Limb Bow (FINISHED PICS)  (Read 8546 times)

Offline JonW

Osage Limb Bow (FINISHED PICS)
« on: June 17, 2011, 12:36:20 pm »
Here is a little bow I'm working on. It was a limb that a guy I knew was going to throw away because it had such tiny rings. I told him it would make a bow so this is to keep some of you guys from getting rid of a limb that you might not think will make it. I only removed the bark and left the sapwood on.

49" NTN
65# @ 26" (right now)

I think it needs to bend in the handle some more. I would like to hear some critique. It also has a hingy area around a knot about 8" from the top nock that I'm trying to work out.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:58:10 am by JonW »

blackhawk

Re: Osage Limb Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:49:28 pm »
Your diagnosis is correct. If you wanna get nitpicky about it then the tiller needs to be more of a true arc of a circle in both limbs for a pyramid design bow. So it looks like you wood have to stay away from mid limbs and scrape the outer thirds and a little more and less on the inner third outside of the fades. And keep the handle stiff until the last inch of draw. This will give you the optimum performance with this design. If you don't care then just even up the top limb a lil more and its fine too.

I like it tho,very cool lil bow and nice save with the wood that was gonna be thrown away.  ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Osage Limb Bow
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:49:48 pm »
Neta little bow, I agree the fades need to move more. You could probably gain an inch.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

Re: Osage Limb Bow (FINISHED PICS)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:12:42 am »
Well I've done everything but put the handle wrap on. As I said before this was an opportunity to use something alot of people wouldn't. I used orange Kool-Aid to dye the sapwood and give the skins a better background. The bow is now 65# @ 28 " and will pull to 29". Sorry about the weird form in the draw pic, but it is difficult for me to draw 29" due to a bad shoulder. On to the pics.....

Offline ohma2

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 11:19:11 am »
nice little bow, i realy like the belly shot and the way those rings are feathering out.

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 11:20:50 am »
Looks like a quick shooter. I like short bows anyway.  ;)
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 11:21:23 am »
A 49" bow with a 29" draw is a thing of beauty, sir.  Ya should be real proud of it....and if we had to work that hard we might bend just a tad funny too !!!!!   VERY NICE
rich

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:05:41 pm »
Nice job,that is a lot of bend in that short of a bow,looks good to me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 01:44:27 pm »
Whew...u got a heck of a bend out of her. Sweet ....and you maintained a nice straight profile too. And pulling any bow that short that far with that weight is prob gonna hurt most peoples shoulders.

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 03:38:30 pm »
thanks for the kind words fellas. This bow shoots FAST!!. I have made better looking bows with better tiller, but this thing spits arras like fire. I think I found a new "fave".

Jon W.

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 10:31:47 am »
  Cool bow, if you want to have some fun with it make yourself a little light weight flight arrow and see how far you can shoot it. The shorties really excel with these light arrows.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 10:59:42 am »
wow what an awesome little bow 29 inches for a 49 inch bow is amazing.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 11:30:07 am »
49"  ,,,68#s ,,,29"s  !!

Wow!!

That's a feat!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline cracker

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 11:37:52 am »
Cool I like a lot. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 11:48:14 am »
Good job on a short piece of wood. You've got a lot more confidence in osage sap wood than I do. ;) Hope it'll hold together for you. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas