Author Topic: im doing research on bow woods... What are YOUR top bow woods recomendations?  (Read 17434 times)

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

Hey yall, i just want to say hi. im looking to write a book on different types of bow woods made from trees felled personally by my primitive peeps.  I was told not all the woods in the TTBB are really great bow woods. what i want to know is, personally, what woods have YOU used that you swear by, and if you can post some pictures of your favorite w stats... no limit..!!!

if i pick your bow picture for the book, ill be sending you a form in the mail to sign stating you give rights to publish, and you will receive a free copy in the mail when its done.

thanks for your support, now lets get er done...!!!  >:D

"In the time of gathering together, make no arbitrary choice of your associates. There are secret forces at work, leading together those who belong together." ~~~I Ching"

Offline sadiejane

have only made bows from osage so i have no experience for comparison
but i did find this list interesting so will pass along
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=481711
wild women don't get the blues

Offline PeteC

I've tried a lot of bow woods,but now I pretty well stick to,Osage,EasternHophornbeam,the dense red elms,preferably Slippery elm,and the hickories. JMHO  God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

thats awesome guys..!! i appreciate the help.. keep em coming..!!
"In the time of gathering together, make no arbitrary choice of your associates. There are secret forces at work, leading together those who belong together." ~~~I Ching"

Offline osage outlaw

Osage and Hophornbeam are my two favorites.  Osage is #1 

Here is my best osage bow.  61" long, 55#@26"  You can use any pics you want.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,26012.0.html

I have some pics of a hhb bow if you want.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Osage. It should be a short book!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
 So far I've used (in order of preference)  1. Osage 2. IPE 3. Hickory 4. Red Elm Then it's what ever jumps out at me next. White Oak, Walnut, Ash...ect.
Here are some pics with braced and full draw profiles. Good luck with the book.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Lee Slikkers

Hillbilly61, did you back the Ipe or not?  Trying to see it clearly in the pics...I got a stick of it and trying to decide what to do with it.  Thanks.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Lee..Yes i'ts backed with Bamboo. Nice wood to work with. For the density, it scrapes very good. Try this pic I think it will show better
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline dwardo

Birch (ok) wych elm (umlus glabra) great bow wood, yew of cource, ash (fraxinus excelciour) great bow wood, Hazel great bow wood, even goat willow ok bow wood. If u need pics i can dog some out.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
After my last bow, I am really liking walnut!!  I have cut and used osage, elm, oak, hickory, and hophornbeam with success as well.  As for buying boards, I have used purpleheart, yellowheart, hickory, oak, and ipe with pretty good success as well.  Here's my walnut bow.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Lee Slikkers

Thanks Hillbilly!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

I think Dean Torges already wrote that book :D.  In order of preference  OSAGE...........................................................................................tied for 2nd is hickory and both hornbeam species in america.
then its all about the same or less after that to me but I have not used yew yet.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Of all the wood I've harvested myself, juniper is my favorite bow wood, by far.  Of all the wood types I've used, I didn't like cedar elm, cottonwood, cumaru, birch, or ash.  My favorite overall bow wood is ipe.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
i realize im going to be the black sheep of the PA family but ... hickory #1 , crepe myrtle #2 , black walnut #3 , red elm #4,hornbeam # 5 ,oaks with white being first then red, ipe #7 ,sycamore #8. this is my list in order of favorites for Selfbows .backing combos can achive great results but our wood should be judged standing alone